Skip to content

General Crashability or Survivability? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Crashability or Survivability?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ManxNorton

Oct 02

ManxNorton says:

Crashability or Survivability?

In todays MCN, Kevin Ash talks about what he says the insurance industry calls 'crashability', which is a rather negative word.

I prefer 'survivability' which puts a more positive spin on it.

Whatever its called, the Honda ST1100 has it in spades as I mentioned in my own review of the bike via http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-ST1100-1989-2004/.

Ash says that few motorcyclists take this into account when buying i.e. it falls off the sidestand and you then have to fork out £££ for repairs.

Duh!

PS. Just about every complaint that Kevin Ash has made about the (lack of) functionality of current bikes over the past few years, has usually been addressed on the ST1100 and a tiny handful of other bikes.

Question: If the Honda ST1100 and its ilk are so tough then why is its insurance group rating 13?

Answer: Because motor/motorcycle insurance group ratings are a racket run by the insurance industry despite Government supposedly closely monitoring something that is compulsory under law.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 August 2012 13:15)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

"Question: If the Honda ST1100 and its ilk are so tough then why is its insurance group rating 13? "

There's far more to insurance groups than how its survives a drop (the type of rider its aimed at, cost of parts, how attractive it is to thieves and umpteen other factors).

On top of that, insurance "groups" are no more than a rough guide: a Fazer 8  for example is group 16 while its 1000cc big brother is actually a group below, at 15; a Z750 by comparison is group 11.

A point to note is the Fazer 8 has been widely hailed as a first big bike, even as a group 16 bike; I would argue that first big bike buyers, lacking the NCB that more experienced riders have (and indeed, the considerable amount of money a new rider has spent on up-front costs of training / tests / kit etc), that the likely insurance cost is probably a significant factor in a final decision.

That said, there can be significant differences in insurance cost between 2 bikes of the same insurance bracket, even when the bikes values are similar.

Reply to this Topic
ManxNorton

Oct 02

ManxNorton says:

Insurance group ratings

Fair enough, I had'nt really thought deeply enough about how the group rating is composed.

Mind you, where is there a laymans guide to the components that make up the insurance group rating?

Does'nt seem to be much transparency in that area , which naturally makes you suspicious.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices