Skip to content

Discuss This Video: What is the new 600? First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: What is the new 600?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: What is the new 600?

Ten years ago, speedfreaks were buying 600s in their thousands, runed on by their wallet-friendly mix of precision handling, insane engines and cutting-edge technology. But many have fallen out of love with these pocket rockets and are getting their kicks elsewhere - even the manufacturers seem to have given up. So what are the new 600s? Which bikes tick the boxes like...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 August 2012 17:40)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

600s

Arent made as much for the sports market nowadays , this has been taken over by the 1000s but 600s are still very much usable for non-sport bikes. They have the power but are lighter than 1000s (that said , I hear the 1000s are getting lighter). I'd still stick with a 650 having owned an XT 600 before purely due to them being light , cheap , easy to fix , easy to find bits for , reliable. Sure it might not have the power for the track , but at the end of the day , should you really be riding around like you are on a track? I'll stick with 600s :)

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

"Sounds like a jolly day out" = the point?

A 2012 GSX-R1000 weighs exactly one tank of fuel more than the 600, I'm not sure that weight is particularly significant unless you're playing Top Trumps.  The consensus seems to be that ragged balls out, the road or track or rider is the limiting factor, not the bikes.  The difference is torque and in-gear acceleration, which is what matters when you're not out trying to lose your license.

For once, I agree with MCN's analysis.  600s aren't cheap to buy or insure or run any more.  If you've got the money and the desire to get one, you can probably stretch to a 750 or litre bike instead - especially since they cost essentially the same to make, so there will be more negotiating room in the litre bike's price.  And if you can, why wouldn't you?  Is there anything inherently more desirable about the 600, except that tank-of-fuel weight saving?  Heck, it might even cost you more to insure than the litre bike - do some quotes, you might be surprised.

All that said, the best selling new 126-650cc bike in July was the YZF R6.  Granted, there were only 82 of them shifted, but that still speaks to their being some demand.

Suzuki, by the way, sank to #10 in the sales figures, behind titans like Lexmoto and Direct Bikes. 319 bikes, fewer than 4 per dealer.  That's not even a bike a week, and that's with all their cashback offers, extended warranty, AA cover, Uncle Tom Cobley and all.  It's not just supersports 600s that are in trouble, Suzuki UK can't give their bikes away.  I wonder when MCN will pick up on that?

Reply to this Topic
gordonakelly

May 12

gordonakelly says:

Honda CBR600F in not the test??

Surely the *most obvious* bike to include in this test was the new Honda CBR600F - it was specifically designed to be a more practical, more comfortable alternative to the 600 super sports. I tested 15 bikes last year (everything from a Street Triple to a BMW S1000RR) and the CBR600F was the one that ticked all the boxes. It won't win on the track (though a good rider will beat a bad rider on a litre bike all day long) but it is still quick (155mph top speed), great brakes (ABS as standard), comfortable, faired and just over £7k on the road. Some of the bikes in this test were ridiculous comparisons (Tuono?!) - this would've been far more sensible inclusion.

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

Cost...

is just too high for a 600 nowadays, the prices have risen so much I dont feel like they are worth it any more.

Reply to this Topic
sizzler

May 06

sizzler says:

600 too much !!!

Why pay so much for a revvy little 600 which is too small and so expensive, I bought a mint 05 blade for under 5 grand....much nicer looking bike and does a lot more.... a very happy blade owner ..

Reply to this Topic
greenturbobob

Nov 05

Cost

Plain and simple! They are too expensive for the bike you get.

The new 600? Its a 675 Triumph!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

the new 600?

is something other than a 600 super sports and if you take into account the trend for Fuel economy and value for money then the Honda 700 is the new 600. Me? I am waiting for the new BUSA !!!

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

Getting older

Correct me if i'm wrong but are bikers getting older and gone are the days when these 600's were cheep to buy and insure.So who's gonna buy em.I don't see the point in them anyway,the trend is going away from these manic machines into more useable torquey bikes which are much better suited to everyday riding.

I quite like the CBR600F though does that need to be revved?.I had a FZ6 S2 and that's put me off for good

Reply to this Topic
chriswren

Jul 09

chriswren says:

As everyone else is pointing out, there is little cost diffrence between a 600 and 1ltr bike so why not have the 1lr bike with more torque and more usable on the road if you want a race rep.

What we need are some cheap 400s that we can scream about on    8)

Reply to this Topic
chriswren

Jul 09

chriswren says:

and the 600's aren't really any lighter or smaller any more

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle