Skip to content

YAMAHA Video: Yamaha Super Tenere World Crosser first ride XT1200Z SUPER TENERE

You are in... Forums > YAMAHA > XT1200Z SUPER TENERE > Video: Yamaha Super Tenere World Crosser first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

Video: Yamaha Super Tenere World Crosser first ride

Yamaha launched its take on the big adventure bike market in 2010 when they unveiled the XT1200Z Super Tenere. Aimed at getting a slice of the most lucrative sector in biking, the Yamaha’s had success thanks to its good looks, build quality and reliability. But it hasn’t quite won the hardcore cred of KTM or BMW GS Adventure rivals. Two years on...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 August 2012 17:44)

Post a message in XT1200Z SUPER TENERE

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
steady2wheels

Sep 08

too heavy, just way too heavy, its a nice looking bike and undoubtedly very goo, but just the sheer weight is far too much

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Nah

Too heavy. Its been said before. big bike riders always go on about when its going you don't feel the weight but in the dirt , you will get bogged down easier , you will find it harder to keep uprights, If would be good as a dirt path rider , very stable (as the yams are) but as soemthing for climbing up a muddy mountain , it wont happen.

While sitting IN the bike is good for on road , off road , it can be a burden , especially if the screen is particularly large. If the seating position is more upright but your leds arent bent much to get to the top or if the bike is too wide , that effects your handling in dirt since it is harder to maintain your balance while standing on the pegs.

For me , I'd go with the 660 in a hearbeat. 1200 is simply too big for serious off road bouts. Not only the size , but also the weight. That said , they do seem to have got the protection right which is a novelty with theirs psuedo-off road bikes.

I have done a bit of dirt riding on a XT 600 (the older ones) but thats my thoughts. It's just ... too big. Sorry yamaha :)

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

This bike has nothing.........

...........to do with adventure and everything to do with one-upmanship. I can't help likening it to mums who drop their kids off at a school that is two minutes walk away in their 30 grand 4WDs. Why would anybody want to off-road on a bloated lump of metal like this?

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"Why would anybody want to off-road on a bloated lump of metal like this?"

Cause shopping at Tescos is gnarly. :wink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

STFU Already

It's like a skipping record with you guys.  Every single time a review of one of these adventure bikes is posted, the exact same people always pipe up about it being to big and heavy and therefor has no place in the cycle world.  You know what?  Go buy a fuckin' MX or enduro bike if you want to do serious off road riding with whoops and jumps and whatever. 

If you want to ride for thousands of miles on the apshalt, gravel and dirt roads, go at least 300 miles between fill ups and carry a months worth of gear for camping, spare tires, spare fuel and water, etc.... then you buy one of these.  This will take you places a plastic clad and cast wheeled street bike would fall apart on and go farther and more comfortably than a dirt bike with a seat like a board and revs to the moon at highway speed, needing a top end rebuild every 200 miles..

This friday, I'm taking my bloated pig on a 12,000 mile 24 day trip from Texas into Newfoundland, Labrador and into Nunivut, then through the backcountry of the Dakotas on the way home.  About 3000 miles of my trip will be loose and deep gravel, about 1000 miles of dirt and the rest pavement.  I'll be making good use of my 350 mile range and still be taking an extra 3 gallons of fuel, a bunch of camping gear, rations, tools and various clothing items.  Try that on a CRF450 X or R.  Even the XT 660 can't be as much of a pack mule.  Fun bike though.  Sadly unavailable in the US, just like the Africa Twin.

Been doing trips like this for 15 years now.  Check out the advrider site and see how many riders use these bikes as intended.  Quite a lot.

Reply to this Topic
uknz

Aug 12

uknz says:

I like it...

Remember it is not trying to be a dirt or enduro bike, it's trying to take you somewhere in reasonable comfort and has the ability to take you across some light gravel or packed terrain. In NZ (where I am) we call these dual purpose bikes, not Adventure bikes. Ride to work during the week, then throw a tent on the back at the weekend and then head off into the country 4/500k's in comfort with some light off road. If you want to take a bike like this through a forest or mud then agree "stupid is what stupid does". As an Adventure rider I want a bike that can take me up some of the paths that I wouldn't do on a sports tourer, something a little taller so I can stand up in comfort and feel the balance of the bike on some packed mud or gravel paths. It's not designed for a Dakar type adventure or jumps. I agree weight is an issue off road but weight is also a positive cruising on the road. e.g. with side winds etc.. I personally opted for the Tenere 660 because it is a true Dual Purpose bike but does lack the power delivery on the road but reduced weight (still heavy) off the road. But over all I like it...

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Sorry, but...

Sorry, but if I was riding one-up, I would take a Wee-Strom, F800GS, etc over any of these 1,200cc beasts. The middle-weight twins have plenty of power and just as much comfort for riding all day on the freeway/motorway at 75 mph with a load of touring gear, and will be much easier if the going gets a bit rough and you have to pick the bike back up, work it through mud, etc.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Where is the Video?

The headline says "video" where is it?

Reply to this Topic
800ger

Oct 06

800ger says:

Video

It was just above your post, now it's above mine. Try scrolling up (or reinstall Flash player ;-))

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices