Skip to content

Discuss This At least you’ll crash within the speed limit! General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > At least you’ll crash within the speed limit!

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

At least you’ll crash within the speed limit!

It’s a massive pothole on a bend but at least you won’t be speeding if it makes you crash.  A council has been accused of compromising safety to catch speeders by painting the white line in the pothole instead of repairing it. The line is needed for the speed camera in the background to catch offenders breaking the 40mph limit...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 August 2012 13:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bboydoy

Jul 09

bboydoy says:

Wave the cash

Maybe they should spend a few trillion replacing speed cameras with helmet recognition turrets, then they can kill us all and get over with all life's problems. Well, that and buy nukes to stare at.

Reply to this Topic
mozart

Nov 10

mozart says:

WELL SAID FATTYBATTER

you've got admit, the chap knows what he's talking about, still a shocking pot hole tho !

Reply to this Topic
Katana Paul

Mar 07

Katana Paul says:

FATTYBATTER

I wonder how Council workers arrive at their place of work? Or travel whilst at work? Do they use another County's roads exclusively? No. They don't. They use the same roads as the rest of us so how "the Council" can claim to have no knowledge of the state of their roads I'll never know! 

Perhaps the emphasis should be that the Council ensure they take sufficient steps to ensure roads are serviceable, rather than it be a public responsibility to report defects? There might even be a job in it for a kiddie with a smartphone and a moped? Somehow "we didn't know about it" seems akin to putting your head in the sand.

Also - it appears to be impossible to report a pothole without its postcode. It sounds ridiculous doesn't it? But, my local Council apparently has no way to interpret map coordinates or even lat/long coordinates (presumably denying the existence of Google Maps...?) which adds yet another layer of overly complicated nonsense to processes for reporting. What I mean here is I've got to be pretty determined to go and find, for example, the postcode for a portion of an isolated road before I can report the pothole. I imagine most people simply can't be bothered.

Perhaps we should ask in a poll : who would gladly pay a few quid more in local Council Tax to ensure we had better roads?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Ahoy fattybatter, if you weren't so busy moaning

You could have taken 30 seconds to post the URL of Suffolk's pothole reporting page.

https://www.csduk.com/CSD/SCC/gBizProduct.aspx?ProductID=PRHM01

And now back to our scheduled finger-pointing. ;)

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Fattybatter

"Speed cameras are a Police initiative, nothing to do with councils" - my understanding is cameras are run by "Road Safety Partnerships" ie a tie-up between police forces and local authorities; do correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok, the money from the fines goes to central government now, but previously (IIRC it changed 2007) the fines went to RSPs and the roads were no better then than they are now.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

I Am, Have been and probably, always will be.... unimpressed with the value for money councils and Government departments offer those that work so hard to keep them in their high paid fat pension provided Jobs. Tax rebate please.

Reply to this Topic
prdh

Jun 11

prdh says:

Not thinking

This is just another example of people blindly doing what there told and not thinking about what there doing. They obviously saw the pot hole and instead of THINKING they just blindly carried on, and it’s happening everywhere all the time. What’s happening to peoples’ common sense? God help us if this is the future for the British people.

Thanks for listening, rant over.

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

un repaired pot hole, what a shock.  the people painting them sodding lines could have reported too.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Doesn't surprise me one little bit. Recently,a small trench was filled in where I turn in to my road. Rather than fill the final two feet in, which was glaringly obvious defect and hazard, I got the "We haven't been told to do that bit, it hasn't been marked" response from the duty knuckle dragger. Seems no matter where you go, this sort of idiocy is rife. I have no choice but to pay my council tax, but I do struggle to see what I'm getting for my money in return.

Hmph.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Jobsworths

Title says it all really.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN