Skip to content

Discuss This BMW C Evolution first ride: "an instant kick of torque" First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > BMW C Evolution first ride: "an instant kick of torque"

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

BMW C Evolution first ride: "an instant kick of torque"

The BMW C Evolution is BMW's fully electric scooter which the company hopes will go in to production within the next few years. The C Evolution makes a claimed 14bhp of continuous output and 46bhp peak output. BMW say the range is 100km during normal city riding, with a top speed of 120kph (74mph). MCN senior road tester Adam Child rode one...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 August 2012 17:23)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Scooter are perfect platform for electric

Scooters provide the perfect platform for electric power. They are normally only ridden for short in-city rides, they are easy to move about and place close to an outlet (park on sidewalks [where legal], or close to buildings). Unlike a car you don't have to create massive power to push 4 passengers, plus luggage and the very hefty weight of the car itself. The small package of an e-scooter/moped creates the ideal platform.

Also, all scooters should have removable attache case style batteries. It makes them 1) easily swappable, 2) you can charge the batteries in your apartment and park the scooter anywhere.

Already in NYC I see a lot of little electric mopeds being used for restaurant food delivery. It's becoming almost ubiquitous. However, I don't see the public riding them yet. It would be good to have a plan to make most scooters electric within 5 years. They are the perfect platform for electric power.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

A 5 Year Plan, you say?

I am eScoot Curious, but until we stop getting the vast majority of our power from burning fossil fuels, electric vehicles will remain a very expensive (to produce and buy) way of reducing local tailpipe emissions.  They're a wash from an environmental perspective.

The ecomoics are dubious: axiomatically, you can only use them for short trips where the fuel savings over your ownership need to be carefully balanced against the high purchase price and hefty depreciation.  As a used purchase, they make little sense, since you're buying obselete technology on its way to expensive failure.

I reckon we're still at least one or two battery generations away from electric vehicles being a good solution, either increased range or decreased (energy and financial) costs of manufacture.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Electric

Motors and , more importantly , the batteries used , have come on leaps and bounds but , while the tech is fine for city riding , it just dosen't cut it outside of town. Once we have higher capacity batteries , we will be able to bring electricity into the use of everyone.

Reply to this Topic
rekrab

Oct 06

rekrab says:

Scoot'elec

Still got the Peugeot Scoot'elec that was on Men & Motors back in '98 Great for local use, quick to 25mph.... OK batteries don't last as long as they did but still very useful, takes a while to get used to the quiet whine! Good to see a major manufacturer making progress, look forward to new battery technology improving range and performance.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

AS ever range is the problem. How far will these go at night with the lights on?

Reply to this Topic
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

Wake me up in a few years ?

When they can do 150 miles on an 8-hour charge from a standard 13 amp socket, and cruise at 60mph, then I'll pay attention. The battery will need a 2 year life and a reasonable replacement cost too. Even then, it'll, still be my second bike.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Where do they stack the milk?

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

I've said it before.............

..............and I'll say it again. The batteries will lose capacity every single re-charge and that 100km range will soon be reduced to 95, 90, 85, etc. The battery will then need replacing at huge cost. We have the motor technology sorted but the batteries are lagging way behind. It will be 10 years minimum before electric bike are remotely practical for commuting and at least 20 before they're any use for sport touring.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

don't worry piroflip.....

Duracell will bring out a long life version.

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

electric bike!

looking at this as a first and its good, how many people commute more than 80 miles a day?

its could also be one of the first by a mainstream manufacturer, the first petrol bikes have a 200 miles range and  150bhp, it will probably be overpriced, expensive to maintain, possibly unreliable, and wont really sell well, I will also bet BMW loose money on it, but it is a serious start and who knows what a few years of development will do.

well done BM but i will still commute on my practical 1200cc 165bhp bike for a while yet

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices