Skip to content

Discuss This BMW C Evolution first ride: "an instant kick of torque" First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > BMW C Evolution first ride: "an instant kick of torque"

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

BMW C Evolution first ride: "an instant kick of torque"

The BMW C Evolution is BMW's fully electric scooter which the company hopes will go in to production within the next few years. The C Evolution makes a claimed 14bhp of continuous output and 46bhp peak output. BMW say the range is 100km during normal city riding, with a top speed of 120kph (74mph). MCN senior road tester Adam Child rode one...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 August 2012 17:23)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

Price ..

I'd love to like this but given the C600 and C650 petrol scooters are about £10,000 plus I would think they'll charge a premium for the electric version so I shudder to think what the price would be an who exactly in the UK would pay that sort of money for a scooter!

Reply to this Topic
alex819

Mar 12

alex819 says:

only a 100km range? seriously? i thought we had come a lot further with electric machines than this :/

Reply to this Topic
ajdubas

Feb 12

ajdubas says:

alex819

We have come a lot further, both in terms of decent performance and decent range, the major problem is the cost of the technology as an electric bike that is comparable to a 600 supersport, for example, would cost somewhere in the order of hundreds of thousands. I'd rather (if I had that kind of money) buy a petrol bike and spent the rest on riding a million miles. The biggest problem I see with current electric bikes, is they are most suited to inner city traffic, thus for people who live in cities and are less likely to have garages with electricity and thus have nowhere to charge them.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

on Visordown....

I've Just seen pictures of this thing naked lol.

Reply to this Topic
290mph600

Jul 08

290mph600 says:

Going electric

I think 1 or 2 comments are a bit harsh and uninformed.

The scooter uses lithium ion technology, if you look after the battery pack you should see around 2500 discharge phases before the state of health (SOH) of the battery reduces to 80%, this is typical of lithium ion batteries (the same technology as is used on your mobile phone). Looking at the quoted range this would equate to around 150 000 miles (come on, who has that many miles clocked up on their scooter)? Interestingly BMW quote 10 years before a loss in performance (262 working days / year for 10 years)?? As for the argument about charging points - I would expect about 95% of bike owners have an available plug socket within a few meters of where they keep their bike. Like it or not, this is the future. 1 pound to recharge for 60 miles, that equates to 360mpg at today's rates - and make no mistake, the price of petrol is rising. Well done BMW for providing a sensible commuting option. The big question is retail price.

Reply to this Topic
290mph600

Jul 08

290mph600 says:

Lights

Will have an insignificant effect on range.

The transmission is rated at 14HP according to the article, that's around 10kW. The lights will be less than 100W - which is less than 1% of the continuous power rating.

Even if you left your lights on all night it would only use about 1/10 (800Wh) of the total battery capacity (8000Wh).

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices