Skip to content

Ask an Expert Riding a modified bike in Europe Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Riding a modified bike in Europe

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Buster2012

Aug 12

Buster2012 says:

Riding a modified bike in Europe

I have a street fightered GSXR1000 that I am planning to ride through Europe. 

Can anyone advise me on the implications of riding my modified bike in europe?

Anything that I have to do to ensure that I am legal at all times?

Many thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 August 2012 11:47)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Modded bikes

Well I've ridden my modified bike in France several times with no troubles.

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

StreetFighter

you'll probably have plenty of people coming over to look at it and ask you about it if it's a nicely done one.  From living in France for a while and bought a couple of bikes while there, both were modified:  Aprilia RSV:  loud pipes, chopped back end, tiny number plate, flush mounted indicators;  Honda VFR:  Loud pipe, tiny number plate.  I was there once on a crappy old ZZR600 with only half a fairing and different (but not loud) pipe, and even that attracted plenty of attention!

Reply to this Topic
RoadTrekker

Sep 11

RoadTrekker says:

Riding in Europe

I live in central Europe(In CZ) and ride a lot in Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovakia, Switzerland, Hungary, Poland and have had no problems with the police plenty of modified bikes to be seen everywhere includeng supercharged Busas!!!

To answer your question you will not have any problems unless you have an accident and the police need to inspect your bike thats where the problems will come in. They will not strip your bike down to see if it is tuned but any obvious dangerous items like worn tyres or brake pads, loose chain, bad oil leaks will be a big no no. They are also very interested in your safety gear helmet  etc after an accident and will ask to inspect it.
Take out extra health insurance as medical bills in Europe are very high especially if you need to be medivac by helicopter out after an accident.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices