Skip to content

Ask an Expert Michelin Road Pilot 3 - Street Triple R Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Michelin Road Pilot 3 - Street Triple R

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Campbelli

Nov 08

Campbelli says:

Michelin Road Pilot 3 - Street Triple R

Recently put Pilot Road 3's on the bike, replacing the original qualifiers. 300 miles in I was on my way home from work when I lost pressure (15 psi) on the front tyre. I limped to the nearest petrol station and pumped it back up. I have inspected the tyre and checked the pressure daily and no change.

However I now have this constant feeling that on slow to medium speed bends that the front is going to fold in on me!

I am running standard suspension settings, 34 psi on the front and 42psi on the back, but something just doesn't feel right.

I took the wheels off to have the new tyres installed and put them back on myself. I have checked the alignment with string and everything appear ok.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I leave for Italy (Monza and San Marino) in two weeks and the wife is going to waste me on her GSXR!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 August 2012 20:30)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Valves?

Did you have new valves and valve caps fitted too? A surprising number of tyre fitters don't do this.  A burst of high speed will open tired valves and tyres will deflate if the valve cap seal isn't perfect...  If they weren't done then at least replace the valve cores and caps.

I'm worried about the "something just doesn't feel right" bit.  Confidence issue following the deflation, or genuine difference in feel?  Something wrong, or just that the PR3s feel different from the Qualifiers?

I prefer a decent straight edge to string, and either way it's worth re-checking with a few different rotations of the rear wheel.

Reply to this Topic
Campbelli

Nov 08

Campbelli says:

Alloy Valve Caps

Thanks for the advice, we may now have solved the problem. Today's ride was much improved, but can't be sure as it was very wet and windy on both rides (work/home), fingers crossed for tomorrow.

I have an invoice with the usual details about new valves and balancing and don't have any reasons to doubt my local dealer. HOWEVER I was in Halfords (about 300 miles ago) getting bits and bobs when I thought I would go 'wild' and bought black alloy valve caps for £1.99 the pair.

After reading your thoughts I looked at some older threads and read about incidents were the weighting and seal (or lack there of) on cheap alloy caps could cause problems for the valve. I had a look at the alloy caps and found that they didn't have any form of seal inside and when I started to think more about it realised that when I put the wheels in to have the tyres fitted/balance I left the alloy caps at home.

I have since removed the alloy caps and installed the original plastic caps with rubber seals.

I suspect

1. my loss in pressure might have been the result of the alloy caps and the poor seal with the valve...

2. my front end issue might have been the result of the wheel balance. I am yet to weigh the alloy caps but will report back in later...
Note: Triumph valves are 'L' shaped for better access, but as a result sit of centre.

I am no Casey Stoner and couldn't tell you the make of road surface just by the tingle of my bum hairs on the saddle, but I definitely feel more confident about going out and tackling some corner/bends.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

I put the Road3's on a ZX6R and junked them after a couple of 100 miles. I had the same feeling. Vauge at the front with a reluctance to turn.  I've been riding years but they proper didnt work for me.

I went back to using a Pilot Power2CT on the front with a Road2 rear.

The handling came back immediately,

Reply to this Topic
tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

valve caps

Valve caps aren't the main seal, the valve is. The cap is a back-up.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

New valve cores and legal speeds...

..then yes, the caps are just a backup.

But 2 or 3 year old cores with unplated springs will be so weak they'll open around three figure speeds (100mph = 800G for a valve core in a straight valve stem).  Even brand new cores with fresh springs can't be relied on at track speeds (180mph = 2600G).  In these cases the caps are the ONLY seal while the valve is opened by centrifugal force.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices