Skip to content

Discuss This Ben Spies rues more cruel misfortune in Indianapolis MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ben Spies rues more cruel misfortune in Indianapolis

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ben Spies rues more cruel misfortune in Indianapolis

Ben Spies was left counting the cost of more cruel bad luck in Indianapolis on Sunday after the Texan was denied a home podium by a major engine failure.Spies was running in a relatively comfortable second place behind Repsol Honda rival Dani Pedrosa when his YZR-M1 engine spectacularly blew up on the home straight as he prepared finish lap seven. The engine meltdown...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 August 2012 09:44)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

RevBenny

I fully agree with you, i couldn't believe it on Sunday when it went bang, it's so rare in MOTOGP, especially coming straight after the swinging arm issue @ Laguna too !!

Reply to this Topic
Chrisb970

Nov 11

Chrisb970 says:

Taken from crash

Ben Spies, who announced via the internet that he was leaving Yamaha on the eve of last month's US MotoGP, has revealed behind-the-scenes tension with a senior member of the company. 
After being forced out of second place by a massive engine failure in Sunday'sIndianapolis Grand Prix - the latest in a relentless run of race day mishaps and bad luck - Spies was asked about his level of frustration. 
Whilst reflecting on the setbacks he has suffered in 2012, Spies claimed that he was told 'not to show up' for the US GP if he wasn't going to ride at a hundred percent. 
"There's frustration, but it's kind of almost got to a laughing point for me,” Spies began. “I'm really not even upset about it. It's just been so many things, one after another. You don't know how to respond to it. 
"At Mugello, we had food poisoning, and that was a bad experience. I tried everything I could to do what we could, but it was a bad result. 
"I was told by somebody at Yamaha that if I'm not going to ride a hundred percent at Laguna [Seca], don't show up. 
"I came to Laguna, and I tried the best I could. The bike had a malfunction. Then we came here with a hundred percent and did the best we could, and we had another mechanical with the bike. I've given my hundred percent. 

Reply to this Topic
Chrisb970

Nov 11

Chrisb970 says:

from Crash

"So to be told what I was told after Mugello and the way it was, and then to give the effort I've given the last two weekends, I just don't think it's been too fair." 
Spies, who was racing with a shoulder injury after falling in qualifying, refused to identify the person who had made the comment: "I'm not going to say any names, but yeah, it was somebody high up." 
When asked if he felt Yamaha was not giving him a hundred percent, Spies added:
"No, I wouldn't say that. I know my team is, my crew. It's shown. The bike's been good the last two weekends. I just don't respect what was told to me and what we've tried to do this year. 

Reply to this Topic
Chrisb970

Nov 11

Chrisb970 says:

I Doubt

there is a conspiracy against Spies but its obvious Lin isn't happy and it is obvious that there is an incompetent mechanic in that team.

Remember last year when a hose clamp wasn't taken off and it forced him to retire. 

It is a real shame that Spies has had all this rotten luck I was as and im sure many of you were expecting big things from this guy. The politics of the sport and the pressure and expectations from the team and his fans seems to have taken its toll. I was really hoping with the pressure now off he would do well which was looking like a certainty until this happened. 

I hope you shake this cloud off and excel where ever you go next Mr Spies.

"Always look on the bright side of life" Di dum... Di dum... didum didum didum 

Reply to this Topic
Chrisb970

Nov 11

Chrisb970 says:

Tripple

It did happen before to Lorenzo in Germany when the Yam first switched to the Pneumatic valve engine and loads of people had big offs where it pissed oil out on the track! But i agree it is very rare  for this to happen. It will be interesting to see what the inquest says after its been checked over. Did that engine have high mileage or was it relatively new??

There have been a few issues with engines this year already.
  • Repsol Honda is pre season testing when pedrosa had to stop and the other Honda' were sidelined.
  • Nicky's crash was quite odd this weekend, listening to the commentary they had their suspicions that then engine seem to cut out or that there was another underlying issue
  • Finally Spies's engine.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

Spies conspiracy

not that it's like the Americans at all ..... but I note that Crash.net has disabled comments from its "Ben Spies reveals tension with Yamaha" story after the sheer volume of libellous tosh was written over the last couple of days.  some people genuinely believe that his bike has been sabotaged to the extent that Spies was going to be seriously hurt.  i'd like to think that in Blightly, we take a rather more pragmatic view of the unfortunate events ... and believe that JFK really was shot by LHO from the Depository.

being a Brit, i can remember what seemed like the endless 'bad luck' that Johnny Herbert endured during the early '90s in F1 while his team-mates seemingly never suffered any mechanical problems.  being in a factory team, you have to deal with all the expectations, the politics and background machinations; it's all part of the job.  sadly, in MotoGP, just riding a bike is not what it's all about.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

chrisb970 - according to the BBC commentary, they said it was a pretty fresh engine in Spies' M1 .... 4th engine of the season, it had done FP3, Quali and warm-up at Indy, plus one practice session at Mugello.

Reply to this Topic
Chrisb970

Nov 11

Chrisb970 says:

Oh ow

Someone at Yam has dropped a saggy bollock! Unacceptable really! I didn't notice the comments were removed but i did see one or two and just thought thats a little far fetched.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Beyond belief really in 13 years of watching Motorcycle racing I have seen no rider have this much bad luck Over an 18 race season it absoultely sucks to be on the recieving end if I was Spies I would get shot of the current crew and start fresh.

Reply to this Topic
Chrisb970

Nov 11

Chrisb970 says:

Hmmm

GYTR i don't thing it works like that pal, especially if you dont have a ride next season with the same team. He is starting fresh he is moving away next year and good luck to him.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices