Skip to content

Discuss This New MCN August 22: 110 Years of Triumph General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > New MCN August 22: 110 Years of Triumph

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

System  says:

New MCN August 22: 110 Years of Triumph

In this week's MCN, out August 22, we celebrate 110 years of Triumph with a celebration of the British firm's best bikes. We look at the highs and lows of 11 decades, including choosing the 11 best Triumphs ever built. Find out about the Triumphs that ripped up records and racetracks alike, and the biggest moments of success and disaster over...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 August 2012 18:13)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

Bored already

Another issue of MCN turned over to Triumph . Do they actually sponsor you or is it that all your editors are also employees of the Triumph PR department ? I now read that , not content with boring us rigid this week , you also intend to do a bit of Triumph PR in your next edition. Time to cancel the subscription . If I want to hear exclusively about Triumph I can pop to the local dealership. 

Reply to this Topic
enfieldturbo

Jun 12

enfieldturbo says:

nigel966

good point well made, and i agree... it used to be a weekly dose of ducati, and now it has changed to triumph..

Reply to this Topic
shottsj

Apr 04

shottsj says:

Not So

What utter cack! MCN has always presented a balanced view - if anything erring on the other side - often damning Triumph's bikes with faint praise. (Most recent reviews of new Explorer vs. GS and Street Triple vs. MV Brutale - 2 cases in point). As long as there are people out there who haven't spotted the fact that the resurrection from death of a viable and exciting British motorcycle industry over the last 20 years is probably the biggest success story in British industry over the period - our press owe it to us to go on blowing Triumph's trumpet.  Up until a few years back I used to describe MCN as 'Honda Weekly'. If Triumph are getting their day in the sun it is only because they make some terrific bikes. If you've never ridden a Street Triple or a Rocket III you should have a go and then tell us you were 'bored'!

Reply to this Topic
SundayRoast

Oct 11

SundayRoast says:

No pay

It must be a very quiet story week if all that can fill the MCN paper is guff about 40 year old Triumphs.

I understand you must sometimes cater to the fringe riders (or should I say tassled), but this is without doubt the most boring paper you have put out in months. Maybe you should call it Motor Classic News.

First time in years I refused to pay £2 for MCN. Boy am I glad that I am not on subscription. 

Firstly your website is falling apart and is so infrequently updated it is embarrasing. Hey even the BBC is more up to date so thats how bad it is.

And then we have to suffer week after week of this Triumph love fest. Well all we can do is withdraw our support until it improves. 

Reply to this Topic
955nsim

Jul 10

955nsim says:

Wow..that was quick !!!

It truly is astonishing,that an article in a British magazine,celebrating a milestone in the only major British bike maker left,has drawn out the all too-vociferous anti Triumph brigade already.Could you imagine an Italian bike magazine being criticised for celebrating a Ducati anniversary??..not a chance in hell.MCN have already bent over backwards..it appears,so as to not draw criticism from the people who quite clearly dislike to hear anything good about the one and only large scale British bike maker .Apparently nothing good must be said about Triumph,or its bikes,to satisfy the howls of protest from the anti-British bike brigade.Week after week,there are full editions of Ducati this or Ducati that..Rossi this and Rossi that..and yet people don't complain much because most people realise that MCN have to cater to a wide audience.Triumph bikes get worse reviews in MCN than probably any other bike mag,they don't come top in any roadtest features anymore,because if they did..on merit..then the howlers would start again,accusing them of bias,because facts mean nothing to those who like to complain first without looking objectively at bikes on their merits. What a shame that there are those haters of anything British,who see nothing to celebrate in a great company ,being successful in todays terrible economic circumstances and creating lots of British jobs and celebrating their 110th year.People seem immune to reading article after article of Ducati,Honda ,or BMW,but god forbid a British company's bikes or factory being featured,because then dummies will be spat out all over the place !! Thankfully MCN realise, that as the major British bike paper in the country,it is appropriate to celebrate Triumph's success,despite attracting the 'pavlovian' hatred of a few,but noisy anti-British mob...Well done Triumph...and I would also extend those good wishes to any european bike manufacturer celebrating success in todays harsh economic times.Some of us like to see success,whereas some people would prefer to see others fail and go bust.What a horrible outlook on life

Reply to this Topic
shottsj

Apr 04

shottsj says:

Well I guess...

I have to agree now from one perspective - and disagree from another! Having now read the paper...

Are MCN seriously suggesting that only one out of Triumph's top 11 bikes comes from the latest reincarnation???!!! And that is the admittedly pivotal but now somewhat lardy early Speed Triple!! OK Triumph's been around 110 years but is now in the business of looking forwards not backwards.

You gainsayers can hardly claim this as a Triumph 'love fest' on that basis. Some insights on the arrival of the models that changed the game for Triumph, or at least got them back into it, rather than columns of regret that they never made the REALLY FAST bikes we ALL apparently were dreaming of and disappointed not to get, would have been a lot more welcome. What a wrong-headed and dated view of the biking world.

So mayve you guys are right about it failing to make the grade as an exciting issue. But for very different reasons. (And no I sport neither fringes nor tassles - did a track day last Wednesday on a Street Trip - try it - you'd like it - must have got us confused with HD riders)

Reply to this Topic
Deano43

Aug 12

Deano43 says:

Triumph

In response to Shottsj below I did ride the Speed Triple and the Rocket 111 and liked them that much bought both of them. Totally agree with his comments and I am saving my pennies to add the new trophy to my collection as well. Well done Triumph a great British success story in this time of doom and gloom!!

Reply to this Topic
shottsj

Apr 04

shottsj says:

R III

:smile Way to go Deano! the Rocket III was and remains a complete mould-breaker. I owned one for 3 years and still regret parting company. On paper it could not possibly work. On the road it made me smile every time I rode it. Seldom mentioned in the biking press and garnering a measly 3 stars on Bike Magazine's Ratings pages. Well same stable as MCN so what do we expect? I have a Sprint GT at the mo and will also be considering an upgrade to the new Trophy for touring...

Top marks for 955nsim for pointing out the double standards of the anti-Brit Brigade. I see you have a track record on this front. Triumph don't get everything right but neither does anyone else. But they've been hitting the spot pretty nicely for the last few years. Have you riddent the Tiger 800s - ridiculously easy (and fun) to ride!! I just don't understand what planet the anti brigade come from??!! Did they actually like it when the UK bike industry (deservedly) was crushed in the 70s???

Reply to this Topic
Deano43

Aug 12

Deano43 says:

Thanks Shottsj All these pessimists probably listen the Morrisey and the Smiths and follow a religion where you need slap yourself over the shoulders with chains until their backs bleed?? Who knows!! They must have hated the euphoria and proud to be British feeling the Olympics gave to many of us!! Wow is me!,,,

Reply to this Topic
stephenm1964

Aug 12

stephenm1964 says:

Triumph Design

Bit of a sidestep from the other comments - but this is a Triumph based design by a couple of guys in Newcastle studying at Northumbria University which may interest the Triumph fans

http://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/vehicles/motorcycles/triumph-speed-twin-by-rod-and-tod-design/

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices