Skip to content

General VFR800 and Insurance Hassle Pub Talk - over 18s only

You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > VFR800 and Insurance Hassle

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gj6n68

Aug 12

gj6n68 says:

VFR800 and Insurance Hassle

Hello All,

After my initial posts about the accident before 10 days and having recovered from my injuries now I am having to hassle with the insurance company to value my lovely VFR800.(to me it is invaluable)....:smile

Long story short, I was about to stop on a round-about and a wonderful car driver decided to hit me from back, and argued that I shouldn't have stopped, which is why the accident occurred.:shock:

Anyway when he saw the police, he did accept that it was his fault and now his insurance company is trying to pay out for motorcycle after having sent an engineer.

They are not happy to repair it but on other hand they are valuing the bike at 2200, though I am not able to get similar bike, with same mileage, condition, extras(ss exhaust, data-tag, META immobiliser, new tyres etc.) below £2500.

And being sentimental I decided to keep the salvage, which they valued at 14% ( i.e. £308 ) for me to keep.

I am just in so much agony because of physical pain and now finding out that the bike I loved so much isn't there, and it is difficult to replace similar stuff for the money they are offering.

Here I am in heed of fellow bikers, seeking some mental peace amongst the sounds of exhaust and smell of fumes...:huh:

All suggestions welcome....
(I've attached the pic of beautiful lady before she was hurt ) :upset:

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 August 2012 20:19)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Sorry to hear about the accident

Don't accept their offer. You have to prove to them that the offer is not enough to replace your bike with one of the same standard. I know it's not fair that you have to do the work yourself but that's the way it is. Collect all the adverts for the same year, make, model and condition and send them to the insurers. They will usually increase their offer.

Good luck.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

VFR Accident

If you know your bike well, you will be able to judge better than us whether you want to keep the machine and make repairs.  If it was mine and the accident anything beyond extremely light I wouldn't bother.  (The risk of expensive hidden damage isn't worth it)  Unless its a 50-year old bike that you have had from new this is about finacnces - not sentiment.   

Reject their offer.  State your case and include actual examples of similar machines and their selling prices to back it up.  I am sure you will be able to get that offer increased - even if only by a modest amount. 

Even when accidents are not your fault don't expect to come out of it even.  Particularly if you have a bike that is better than average for the year / mileage.  Dealer trade-in value is all you will get paid.  It sucks but that's the way it works.  With a bit of luck you'll get something for your personal injury claim and don't forget to claim for any riding gear that was damaged.  At the very least a new helmet is needed as yours was involved in an accident. 

Good luck.       

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
gj6n68

Aug 12

gj6n68 says:

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the replies...

@BeeLady:
I've collected the offers from autotrader, ebay and MCN's sale section and all of them, especially from retailers/trades are more than what they are offering. So fingers crossed.

@MarcusMarsh:
I agree with you completely, I knew my bike very well especially the mods which were done on it were worth more than £500 and though it was one of the earliest 800s, it was in immaculate condition with full service history, all MOTs, tax discs, documentation and so on. And anything similar on market is available for at least £2700.
As I said above, I've collected various adverts from different places, and hope that they understand that case. I had not spoken to them about the gear until now, but am going to talk to them today especially about the Schuberth which has been damaged.

Hope I can get back on road soon...

Thanks once again...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices