Skip to content

General Bike training question ? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Bike training question ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

new004

Aug 12

new004 says:

Bike training question ?

Hi im 25 done my cbt a few months ago am not sure what i should do next.I havnt had any experience on a motorbike other than cbt.It seems i have two options :

a:Get a secondhand 125  and get some practice in with L plates then either go in and do restricted or unrestricted.Downside to this is the secondhand 125 market atm is very hectic because of new 2013 reg.Plus side is you can sell the 125 and get roughly what you payed for.

b:Do a das course and get it all over and done with.Downside its expensive does not guarantee a first time pass.Plus side it gets the process of getting a bike license over and done without bothering with L plates etc.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 August 2012 21:01)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Neither Method

Guarantees a first-time pass. Nor do either of them "do away" with L plates, if you do DAS the bike you're riding will have them on!

Whatever you choose I'd get it done this year, as you alluded to, come next year it's gonna get a lot more complicated.

Depending on how comfortable you felt on your cbt will guage what would suit you best, if you didn't have too many probs I'd recommend doing DAS you can always have another lesson/ride on a 125 before you jump on a larger machine if you wanted a little more confidence first

Happy riding, whatever you choose :smile

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I must admit

I tend to be in the "get a 125 first" camp, but as AC states, it's about to get even more complex and costly.

Thing is that the 125 method gives you road miles over time (which is what really counts) in a way that a short DAS course doesn't. It'll also contribute towards insurance NCB.

One option (depending on budget) is to get a cheap 125 (Honda CG or Yamaha YBR), and run that while your doing DAS.

You don't say if you drive a car - if you do then you'll have some road sense, although you need to be far more aware of your vulnerability on a bike.

Reply to this Topic
new004

Aug 12

new004 says:

advice

Is it worth the hassle of buying a secondhand 125 just for a few months only to sell it after passing ?

What tips can you give me on finding a good training school that offers a good das type course and what sort of money should i expect to pay ?

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Alternatively

Get a 125 from a dealer that has a few larger machines that you fancy owning, suggest to them if you purchase the 125 from them would they give you the same amount back as a part-ex on a larger machine. There's a good chance they'll agree, especially in the current market!

As for schools, I suggest you avoid the ones who insist you take both mod's 1 & 2 on the same day, if you fail the mod 1 you can't take the mod 2 but will still have to pay for Both! Expect to pay around £80 a lesson without any "hidden" costs, if they start increasing it on the day for things like bike hire, insurance, kit hire etc I'd walk away. Don't forget test fees will be on top of the lesson costs

Reply to this Topic
dave_c

Aug 06

dave_c says:

I had the same

dilemma as you after taking my CBT, so I asked one of the instructors for advice.

He said to forget the 125 because as soon as I'd passed my test I'd want something bigger. In addition to that he reckoned that if I was out on my own I might pick up bad habits which would hinder my chances come the test.

You said you can buy a 125 and sell it for the same as you paid for it. Well I wouldn't be too sure about that, it certainly doesn't work that way with any other bikes!

So save your money and use it for the DAS course, which might cost in the region of £700 including the test.

Good luck with it!

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

One point

Do you have a car licence?  I only ask, because if so, you will have developed some road sense.

This will give you a great advantage over someone new to the roads.

If so, go for DAS.  Well worth it. 
If not, and you founds the roads rather daunting, then spend more time learning on a 125 - then go for DAS!!!

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

straight

to DAS

Reply to this Topic
yoyo100

May 09

yoyo100 says:

bike hire

Why not hire a 125 for a weekend to get a feel for how you ride? You'd pay about £100 including insurance etc. If you really aren't comfortable after that then find a used 125 for 6 months or so, if you are happy then go for DAS but as stated find a school that charge for the training you have not for a block package.  I did my DAS for £270 inc test fees.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Reply to this Topic
new004

Aug 12

new004 says:

question

So block das packages probably wont be cheaper ? and its cheaper to pay for the lessons that the instructor suggests ?

Does 40 quid per hour of instructed training sound about right or is this too high considering the average ?

So in 2013 the restricted route goes away but how does this affect people who are old enough to do a direct access course ?

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

In

2013, there are more "steps", ie 2 years on a bike of a given output, and 2 years on a slightly bigger bike, then unrestricted (off-hand I don't recall the power outputs / capacity), they also plan tests at each stage (instead of simply going to a bigger bike after the 2 years like you can now).

DAS is available to those aged 24+ next year, as opposed to 21+ now.

As it is you'd be looking at £600-ish to do it (DAS) now, probably more next year when it changes.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices