Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: What's stopping you doing advanced training? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: What's stopping you doing advanced training?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

Poll: What's stopping you doing advanced training?

Next week's MCN features ex-World Superbike Champion Neil Hodgson being assessed on a Bikesafe training course. It's the first advanced training Neil had ever done, and he came away impressed, having learned a few things to improve his road riding. So why don't more of us do advanced training? Don't forget to comment below  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 August 2012 15:45)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
toadhancocks

Oct 10

toadhancocks says:

I DONT LIKE BEARDIES! grrrrr

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

beardies

me neither mate.I spoke to a kid on a superdream years ago who proudly announced that he was an advanced motorcyclist ! on a 250 superdream !!! didnt have a beard but he did have chronic acne

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

They are obsessed with riding

I like to go out on my motorbike, it's a handy way to get to work when the weather's too crap for cycling and it's a brilliant way to get away for the odd day or go and visit people but I have other things in my life. I'm not convinced that the people who do IAM do anything else. Not that I'm knocking them for it, everyone has a passion or two, but after the second ride out with them I realised that there is no way on earth I'm going to have the time to put into becoming an advanced rider.

Would be well up for antoher one of those police days tho.

Reply to this Topic
flyingpanintothefire

Aug 02

Advanced Riding

If you want to go for it, try to choose a ROSPA course. The IAM guys that do the observing to help you pass a test are all volunteers, so where does all your subscription money go??? to the fat cats sitting in their fancy offices for this CHARITY in London, ain't that right Nigel... :-) ROSPA is Better value for money, with part of your annual subscription paying for an exam every 3 years....

Reply to this Topic
rugbybiker

Apr 10

rugbybiker says:

Any form of training or retraining or repeat training is surely not a bad thing. But IAM does have some negative PR which they maybe need to sort out. For example.

1)I have listened to many conversations amongst fellow bikers who have experience of IAM and there does seem to be many differences of opinion within IAM about certain issues. Sometimes these will be between IAM observers at the same location or at differing locations. IAM must be consistent.

2)Some IAM observers can be rather egotistic and do not take kindly to being challenged. This shows a weakness in their traing ability (not doubting their riding ability).

3)I know of friends who always talk about how they can now ride much faster following IAM training. Progressing at speed seems such a fundamental part of the IAM ethos - but we don't all want to ride like we are on a police chase.

I also have concerns over IAM due to its image - which in some cases is projected in a rather arrogant way akin to "out of the way, I must progress" . I have personally experienced this on a number of occassions both in my car and on my bike - including a rather scarey incident when some IAM guys were "straight lining bends and suddenly appeared in the centre of the centre of the road. They flicked and moved over but we were a split second away from disaster.

Finally, I know of numerous IAM riders who ride the system when it suits them but drop it and ride like lunatics when they feel like it. An accreditation should represent how you do things period not just when you are being observed or examined.

I also feel that the ROSPA traing is better (not easier).

Reply to this Topic
spangle2k4

Aug 12

spangle2k4 says:

Thumbs up for RoSPA

Have attended a few sessions of the Northampton RoSPA group and have to say they are a fantastic bunch of riders. I didn't believe all of the nonsense you read about advanced training helping you to ride more safely AND more quickly but it really is true. My riding has improved in too many ways to list since taking advanced training. And through RoSPA, the cost really is negligible; anybody should be able to find £20 a year to upgrade their riding skills (safety!).

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

@rugbybiker

Agree totally with everything you said. I'm not to keen on the looking down your nose attitude of that social segment of motorcycling, its no better than the chicken strip heroes on R1's who think they're nails. Sensible bikers can ride just as fast as anybody and do it safely, its all about that term "Common Sense". Once you get above a certain speed on the road, training goes out the window, because you get to a point where its how you personally assess risk.

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

i done the IAM one

and i thought it was pretty good, though maybe i was lucky as my observer was a cracking guy with an open mind and soon got my bad habits out of the way, the test was straight forward enough and its a qualification for life though my work insist i do a refresher every couple of years...............i dont get caught up in the politics, i just want to ride as best i can.................keep in mind though i spend a lot of time on the bike:wink: 

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

i done the IAM one

and i thought it was pretty good, though maybe i was lucky as my observer was a cracking guy with an open mind and soon got my bad habits out of the way, the test was straight forward enough and its a qualification for life though my work insist i do a refresher every couple of years...............i dont get caught up in the politics, i just want to ride as best i can.................keep in mind though i spend a lot of time on the bike:wink: 

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

i'm not sure that they have anything to teach me, atm it takes me to hold my tonge when some dickhead who is not even in the same postal district at the end of run says stuff like, "i was spinning up" and "couldn't keep the front end down" then you have the other dickheads that can't even change a sparkplug telling you how to fix your bike, so i don't need some older guy on an over weight 100 mph shaft drive bus telling me how to ride my bike either. unless they are a class 1 police rider or a TT veteran. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle