You are in... Forums > General > General > Scooter vs 125cc/250cc bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

censuwine

Mar 08

censuwine says:

Scooter vs 125cc/250cc bike

I have recently emerged from an unpleasant experience owning a scooter which replaced an earlier Yamaha YBR125.  The YBR was super reliable despite its intimate love affair with rust.  I opted for a scooter on account of the obvious ease of handling and overall convenience. I did not anticipate the interminable reliability issues.  This has been my only scooter so far.  Was I just unlucky or should  I stick to manual-geared 125cc or 250cc bikes?  I have the option to use my BMW R1200R on my daily travels to work but I would not like to worry about leaving it at the mercy of vandals.  All comments suggestions are welcome and appreciated.  Thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 August 2012 09:36)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
enfieldturbo

Jun 12

enfieldturbo says:

what

make was the scooter ? if it was Chinese that's where your problem lies..

just buy a Japanese branded scooter, and always go for the 4 stroke...

something like this will see you right and they are comfy.

Suzuki AN 400 X 1999 BURGMAN

Reply to this Topic
enfieldturbo

Jun 12

censuwine

Mar 08

censuwine says:

Chinese workmanship

Thanks for the feedback, but isn't everything sourced from China nowadays?  To my knowledge all the Italians and Peugeot are made/assembled in China.  Even the Japanese are now made in Thailand or thereabouts! It looks like the Chinese have even destroyed the option of being prepared to fork out a premium sum in return for quality. Thanks again.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

You pays your money...

Japanese and western companies have a reputation which they need to conserve so they don't accept particularly shoddy components. Chinese manufacturers are interested in getting the bikes out of the doors and so corners are more readily cut. Maybe in the future things will change but for now western products made in china are generally more reliable than chinese products made in china.

Reply to this Topic
censuwine

Mar 08

censuwine says:

What about the bike alternative?

OK guys point taken and sincere thanks.  But can I have your opinion on whether a manual-geared 125cc is a better alternative to a scooter?

Reply to this Topic
Mankind

Mar 09

Mankind says:

Depends

on yer trip. But I would say a scooter would be far better for urban commuting. Changing up and down gears on a 125, is a total ball ache, and scooters, generally have better weather / dirt protection, and can carry more.

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

walk

just walk mate its probably your best option if you have a scooter

Reply to this Topic
max748

May 12

max748 says:

me and my dad

when i owned my yamaha r125, I was going to the school that my dad worked at. He rode a vespa 125 (made in italy). He spent every second he had keeping this thing working. The speedo kept breaking, bearings falling apart, oil leaks, breaks losing pressure, flat tyres, stickey throttle, everything!!!! My bike - 2 years younger - never had a single problem, was better on fuel and was faster (beyond 70km/h) and alot more enjoyable to ride.

if you want my opinion, get a japanese low cc bike, and if you get a scooter, get a japanese one (not italian).

Reply to this Topic
censuwine

Mar 08

censuwine says:

Maybe a scooter ...

OK chaps, many thanks for your advice.  Just to be absolutely sure on the reliability front I think I'll go for the new BMW C 600 Sport.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices