Skip to content

Discuss This Should Triumph make a small capacity bike? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Should Triumph make a small capacity bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

System  says:

Should Triumph make a small capacity bike?

Rumours rumble on about Triumph making a 350cc single-cylinder bike, perhaps aimed at the Asian market. Should they do it?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 August 2012 15:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Small capacity Triumph

Of course they should. Volume sales in the Far East will only make Triumph financially stronger.  And if the bike makes a good commuter they may take some of that market in Europe too. 

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

think they should fix there quality control first

think they should try 125's/250's as 350 seems a bit of a weird capacity but honestly think maybe they should deal with there quality control as to be honest would rather take a small capacity hyosung than touch a small capacity triumph

Reply to this Topic
DrWorm

Jul 11

DrWorm says:

I reckon so yeah

Yeah definitely, but also for the UK market.  a 250/350cc naked would be lovely not some cruiser like is pictured though, that would be gash!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

for those of us who.....

have passed their test's a 350 or 400 would be nice as a fun bike.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Absolutely

If they have any sense at all then yes, Triumph should definitely have some small capacity economical bikes in their line up.

If they are smart about it they could design a single "platform" on which a few different versions could be based in much the same way that Honda have done with the NC700.

Not only should they do this, but they should also start making a range of scooters.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

I agree with Marcus

"Volume sales in the Far East will only make Triumph financially stronger"

With their Chonburi Thailand plant, and the new talked about India production

plant, it should stand them in good stead to produce competitively priced

smaller CC'd bikes.

I wish them all the best, tbh.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Sell in Asian markets, make Asian money

They'll have to shift a lot of units to make as much profit as on one Rip Off Britain bike.

They're doing well in the UK just now, I just hope they don't lose the plot and start thinking of themselves as a proper global bike brand.  Mind you, one advantage is that if it goes hooky, they can just shrug and walk away from it.

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Yes Please

Chop 1 cylinder off a 675 and you get a 450 twin - nice and light and punchy - ideal for youngsters and oldies alike!! Agree with the QC comments though, Triumph need to sharpen up in this area otherwise they'll kill the goose.

Reply to this Topic
pinkerton2964

Nov 11

Better engines

I believe that motorcycles used to have best and most well developed 4 stroke engines. I think now though that the cost of chasing high reving poor torque motors has dropped them behind the car industry. We know motorcycles are fast but they dont seem to have any interest in making a very highly fuel efficient bike that makes real world performance. Also the motorcycle industry seems to have no designs on using diesel motors. I know the problems packaging high compression, weight etc but the modern diesel engine is amazing fuel efficiency long mileage reliability great toque. I'm sure Honda's engineering dept could iron out some kinks. But then it probably would take Yamahas guts to sell it.  

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Why not!

If Triumph produce a learner legal bike, people would be inclined to move up to a larger Triumph when they pass their test. If they are planning on building small bikes in India or Thailand, why not send some of them over here. And whats this tripe about quality control? I've worked in aircraft engineering all my life and worked with just about every metal, plastic, composite, carbon fibre, and non-ferous metals available. I've had a Sprint ST1050 for 5 years and now I've got a Tiger 800 and theres nothing wrong with the quality. I've never had a fault and neither has my wife with her 5 year old Bonneville. Go into a Triumph dealer and look at second hand bikes and you will be highly unlikely to find a ratty one because, in my opinion, the materials are as good as any other manufacturer. In fact Ride magazine did a test on a number of manufacturers bikes a couple of years ago and overall, Triumph were best. End of rant!!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices