Skip to content

Discuss This Should Triumph make a small capacity bike? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Should Triumph make a small capacity bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

System  says:

Should Triumph make a small capacity bike?

Rumours rumble on about Triumph making a 350cc single-cylinder bike, perhaps aimed at the Asian market. Should they do it?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 August 2012 15:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

quality?

rather than spend huge sums of money on a new small bike of unknown sales potential i would prefer  triumph spend money making their abysmal qaulity better, and also putting the new 1200 adventure on a diet it weighs 70kg more than the bike that is its greatest copmpetition what were they thinking of? ok we will build a sherman tank that will be good off the roads, and as for their rubber components that hold relays etc they are best considered a joke, i know one person that has had 3 sets under warrantee.

No triumph get the house and quality in order and i will buy, but not until you do

Reply to this Topic
mrl129

Sep 11

mrl129 says:

I live full-time in Thailand and would welcome a bike in the 350cc class from ANY manufacturer.

Big bikes are starting to sell quite well here but their prices can be extortionate; imported bikes can cost twice as much as the identical UK model - eg. Bonneville equivalent to 13.5k GBP, Street Triple R 15k GBP, Rocket 3 Roadster 27k GBP - so I'd only be interested, really, if it were made locally with a correspondingly low price.

Rogerborg says " .... on one Rip Off Britain bike." - still think UK's a rip-off for bike prices, Rogerborg????

Since Triumph already have a factory here, I think a 350 Triumph WOULD be locally-made and I hope they'd have the sense to negotiate good deals with the Thai government regarding prices. Triumphs made here at the moment have to be exported & re-imported again so attracting the higher price. Stupid, but that's the way it is. There's a demand for Triumphs here but not at the crazy prices quoted above.

In my part of Thailand, at least, most roads just aren't suited to big bikes IMO, due to their poor condition. The only place I see big bikes is on the main highways between cities, where bends are rare, never on the rural roads. I can have great fun on rural roads on a 250 but would be pushing my luck on a 650 or bigger. A sporty 350 would be ideal. Thai road users aren't used to bikes travelling at much more than 50-60km/hr and tend to have slow reactions where bikes are concerned. You think UK drivers are inconsiderate? You'd have nightmares here!! 

Reply to this Topic
Bikefar

May 08

Bikefar says:

Small capacity bike

Bring back the Tiger Cub!!

(But maybe a 400, or thereabouts..)

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

New license laws

With the new and bizaare license laws comming in having a decent motorcycle to 'bridge the gap' makes perfect sense. I think we'll see a lot more manufacturers heading back to smaller capacity machines soon.

Reply to this Topic
theguywitha50

Jun 12

go all the way to a 125, its all i'll be on for 2 years

Reply to this Topic
Shaun25

Mar 12

Shaun25 says:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/triumph-125cc-rumours-re-emerge/20462.html

Reply to this Topic
ZMC888

Nov 09

ZMC888 says:

Of course Triumph should make smaller capacity bikes. Bigger bikes whilst selling well in western countries are't really practical in Asian countries. Sure, people with money buy expensive imported big bikes to show their wealth and join the 'lifestyle' club, but hoinestly they do less miles on them than I do on my bicycle. Real riders in developing countries want generally up to 650cc bikes but smaller bikes are popular. The thing is, if you sell smaller bikes made in developing countries it makes the company stronger as lost of the underlying sales are based on small capacity bikes. Manufacturing in India, Thailand and even China are all quite possible.

I live in China a 250cc bike for 2000-2500 pounds would sell well, as would a 350-600 triple for around 3500-4000, if locally made. 

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices