Skip to content

Discuss This Should Triumph make a small capacity bike? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Should Triumph make a small capacity bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

System  says:

Should Triumph make a small capacity bike?

Rumours rumble on about Triumph making a 350cc single-cylinder bike, perhaps aimed at the Asian market. Should they do it?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 August 2012 15:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
soldbikeforbabydammit

Aug 12

Wistful

I just wish they'd make a better looking bike. I would buy a Triumph INSTANTLY, if they stopped making the speed/street triple so Fugly. I know it's due for a makeover but so far doesn't look any better. Sigh. About time the speedmaster/ america were both beefed up a bit too... steal a few more sales away from the overpriced pig iron that is HD.

Reply to this Topic
Jconway651

Aug 11

Jconway651 says:

SatNavStevesays You couldn't be further from the truth, the idea behind quality and quality control is first that a machine is "fit for purpose" and quality control to ensure all machines meet that minimum expectation of quality. I bought a brand new Triumph Daytona 675 back in sept 2010, by then it should have had the kinks worked out, or so i had hoped. Indicator rattled off on first ride home, dangling from wire. Over the course of the next few weeks I had more issues, rear sub frame bolts rattling loose, rectifier/regulator fried, Gear selector issues/recall (that I wasn't informed about till I took it into dealership cause I couldn't change out of 1st), cracked exhaust manifold. The final nail in its coffin was the engine exploding on me!! the centre con rod snapped sending the piston into the head whilst the conrod punched chunks out of the crankcase and then destroying the piston pieces that came back down. This was a 5,600 mile bike!! Guess there quality control does need looking at!! in the same time ive owned a new ducati, kawasaki and a used KTM 990 sm and BMW 1200S all with many more miles and no problems at all from any other than the terrible triumph..

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

More to do

Yep Soldbike,imagine having to look at the Speed/Street in your garage and those headlights,gives me the creaps.As has already been said Triumph need to sharpen up.

Reply to this Topic
jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

Keep going!

Eventually Triumph is going to run out of buyers who have a hazy nostalgic reverence of their motorcycles. They need to establish themselves among the next generation of bikers. Why not produce a 125? And then a bike to meet the new license limits? If Triumph is to have continued success it needs to connect with the next generation.

Reply to this Topic
marval

Nov 03

marval says:

Triumph

Yes Mr Bloor, why not increase your market share, Oh and maybe you could get hold of Norton for a Quid soon and sort that shambles out!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Religion, almost

@ soldbikeforbabydammit – To compete with Harley-Davidson, you have to compete with the image and trend, not performance. After all, no one buys a H-D based on objective comparisons of performance and price.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Jconway651!

Sorry to hear of your problems. But I have to say that yours must be an isolated case because I've never heard of anyone, whatever Triumph model, having so many problems.But how well is your bike serviced? I have heard that the 675 engine (and my 800 version of the same engine) needs to have the oil checked regularly because it only holds just enough and if the level drops, your experience is a consequence. When I picked my bike up new from the dealers, I checked it when I got home (coz I only trust me!) and the oil level was just in the bottom of the level window! At the 500 mile service, I checked after it again and the oil was past the top of the window and the chain had been adjusted and the back wheel was out of alignment by a full notch! And the tyres were 5psi below what they should be. Thats why I do all my servicing, as much as I can, after the warranty runs out. I would say don't tar them all with the same brush as I think you are the exception rather than the rule. I still say though that the materials and paint finish are as good, if not better than any other bike, and their stainless is a far better quality than other manufacturers.

Reply to this Topic
DUCATI848

Aug 12

DUCATI848 says:

No

I think they should bring out a bigger capacity Daytona!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Ducati848, spot on with that...

A 1350cc SIX.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

yep - big daytona please!

I think Triumph make great bikes and understand their market already. Beemer, Ducati and Harley are the same, I remember in the early 70s Harley made those little 2 strokes (the AMC days?) and nobody bought them!

Triumph's quality control is amongst the best in the world - my Sprint STs have all been so much better built than my VFRs, Bandit 1200 and Yam XJRs.

stick to what you're good at I reckon!

ta,

Baz.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle