Skip to content

Discuss This Should Triumph make a small capacity bike? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Should Triumph make a small capacity bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

System  says:

Should Triumph make a small capacity bike?

Rumours rumble on about Triumph making a 350cc single-cylinder bike, perhaps aimed at the Asian market. Should they do it?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 August 2012 15:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

Asia's going to remain with small capacity bikes, and for anything bigger they'll now move on to cars designed to be cheap. It's what happened here in the 60's with the Mini.

Reply to this Topic
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

For other markets, Triumph proved a very long time ago that you can make a twin practically no bigger than a single, but with better performance.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

2294cc

Is what the Triumph website says for the Rocket III displacement.  Rounds to 2.3L, eh?

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

Got a facebook account?

If so then have a quick look at my dear old mothers page and give it a like :) just type in the name

JANE STANTON DONNOR ARTIST

Currently doing her second Simoncelli tribute oil painting.

You wont be dissapointed if you have a look. she does other riders too.

Thanks guys :)

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

It would

be nice if they did, and even nicer if they went on to release it over here.

As it is, there's precious little between 125cc and 600cc bikes, so an insurable, reliable machine in between would be nice; I can't see it happening though. Anyone remember Kawasaki's 400cc ER-4 with 43bhp (which was launched in Japan only)?

Reply to this Topic
mark0711

Mar 11

mark0711 says:

Im not interested in triumph until they make there tourers shaft drive and cruisers belt drive , everybody else has so why not triumph , thats there only let down

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

mark0711!

The Rocket 3 has been shaft drive since it came out 8 years ago and the new 1200 Explorer is shaft drive too. The Thunderbird cruiser is belt drive and the soon-to-be-released Trophy tourer is a shafty too. Now then, wheres your nearest Triumph dealer! You need to read a few more brochures and web sites.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Mark0711

Belt drive?

Harley use Belt Drive to solve a variety of engineering issues that the Triumph simply doesn't have - OK they use belt for the bigger displacement Tbird but I hope it never makes it onto the Speedmaster and America as it causes more technical hurdles than it solves (on less vibey engines).

Fenner belts (and suchlike) are more suited to constant load levels with constant belt tensions - quite the opposite or a motorcycle final drive system, which has to put up with a constantly varying load and belt tension. The chain final drive technology has come a long way in the last 100 years and it's still one of the best final drive transfer methods.

I've lost count of the amount of Fenners I've replaced over the years!

Baz

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

chilliesauce69

What part of the heading don't you understand, this is about Triumph building a small bike not somewhere to plug something else.

They ought to, but as has been mentioned a few times they need to up their quality control, the classic range really do seem to suffer early corrosion, particularly the Bonnies.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

TrumpetTriple!

I can only speak from my experiences but my wifes 5 year old, 15,000 mile Bonny T100 looks great and the only place where the finish has suffered (slightly!) is the paint on the crankcase on the front of the engine which has discoloured where the weather has had its effect. But no screws have rusted, or black paint peeled, the only chrome to suffer is a little on one of the Norman Hyde silencers where it has flaked off! I have offered to help her buy a new bike but she wants to keep this one. A highly satisfied customer!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle