Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha: Lorenzo wanted Spies and not Rossi as 2013 team-mate MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Yamaha: Lorenzo wanted Spies and not Rossi as 2013 team-mate

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Yamaha: Lorenzo wanted Spies and not Rossi as 2013 team-mate

Yamaha has admitted that Jorge Lorenzo made it clear his priority was to keep struggling Texan Ben Spies as his factory Yamaha team-mate in 2013 and not bitter rival Valentino Rossi. Lorenzo and Rossi will renew their intense rivalry again next season after the Italian signed a two-year deal to return to Yamaha after a wretched spell with Ducati. Yamaha management spoke...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 August 2012 18:53)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bluehaze60

Jun 10

bluehaze60 says:

As mick jagger once sang "you can't allways get what you want"

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

bluehaze,top post..but...

phil collins once sang" i can feel it coming in the air tonight , oh lord......"

meaning rossi thinking off his bank balance rising.

Reply to this Topic
vtwinmark

Aug 10

vtwinmark says:

Ones a genuine, likeable, unconfrontational nice guy....the others a calculating, manipulating egomaniac....who the fck would you prefer???

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Team orders.

It's an interesting question and I guess it would depend on the circumstances.

If, let's say, a battle had been raging all season between VR, JL and DP, they were within 25 pts or a DNF with 4 races to go..would you expect team orders to be issued? When are they implemented if indeed they are?

Remember Dani torpedoing Nick in Portugal 2006? He was 34 pts behind his team mate going into the 2nd to last round there, lying 5th in the standings. Hayden was leading with a fast closing Rossi 2nd just 12 pts back. If Rossi hadn't fallen at the final round handing back the advantage by 5 pts, Dani's move would have cost Nicky and Honda the title. Clearly no team orders there.

If Rossi was so far behind Jorge/Dani he couldn't win the title and he was able, you'd expect him to ride for his team mate and the factory.

I don't think any of us like the idea of team orders which implies a fix, because we want flat out honest action. However, you'd have to be naive to maintain there is no scenario when they can come into play.

If you think Rossi would come 2nd to Jorge when he can still mathematically win a title himself because Lorenzo is supposedly #1 and Yamaha wish it..I think you're dreaming.

Reply to this Topic
vonich

Dec 10

vonich says:

Wosihound

If two team mate is fighting for the title. I don't think the team will issue a team order and favor one rider over the other rider. As far as  i know all the team bosses wants is their rider to win the crown regardless who is the #1 or #2 on the team. So i don't think that will be necessary if it coem down to that. But just like you said I will rather see to team mate fight it out to the last checkereg flag to determined who is the champion.

Reply to this Topic
parris

May 10

parris says:

Is there something wrong with jarvis?

Lin Jarvis always seems to be saying inflammatory things. I mean what possible good do these comments make. Jarvis has just made a liar out of Lorenzo in public. He is also kinda belittling Rossi as well for no gain. It just seems a bit dumb to me. The guy pissses of the two best riders Yamaha have brilliant. Its not like Lin hasn't done this previously and his latest with Ben Spies wasn't masterful. I can't work out if he is just very plain spoken and he thinks it is ok to discuss it all openly or he is just a bit of a dick. Either way you would think Yamaha would be very unhappy with his work. I mean Jarvis is supposed to be senior management and trying to get the optimum results from the team including the riders.

Reply to this Topic
Milkybars

Feb 11

Milkybars says:

Team orders

Bah Humbug!!! What happened to the 2012 Badmington players?

Play or ride to your best ability, then let the chips fall where they may, that's it!

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Rossi back on a M1

Is primarily a marketing exercise for Yamaha as they accept the return of their prodigal son under their terms. They had five great, highly sucessful years together. Add in 2010 (and probable 2012 champ) Lorenzo and they can use those smiling nr.1 bike, rider and trophy shots displaying Yamaha's MotoGP dominance again. That's got to help shift a lot of product in Asia where the profit margin comes from these days.

In pragmatic marketing terms (if not actual racing ones)  signing Rossi was Yamaha's best move in tough times which is why it happened. Uncle Carmelo was lurking somewhere in this equation though. He's too shrewd to issue a statement like 'Rossi will be on a competitive bike next year' without having some sort of handle on events.

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

MONEY MONEY MONEY

........if u ain`t bringing it u ain`t riding it

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

@parris.

Lin Jarvis is a complete wanker end of.

Reply to this Topic