You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > balls on pegs

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

max748

May 12

max748 says:

balls on pegs

I lean a fair way through the corner, I lean off my bike and sometimes hang a knee out. i have dragged my toe once and since then, I have never had the confidence to point my toes out.

Am I doing something common/normal by putting my feet way back on the pegs and only bringing them foward when they are needed?

Is there a better way to have your knee drag before your toe?

tell us how you ride your bike fast around corners.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 August 2012 11:09)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

To be honest

I think you're probably asking for trouble if you're going that fast on normal roads. On a track, yeh, but I'd be really careful on normal roads as with that level of commitment you just need some shit on the road and you're off into a tree, lamp post or even the curb which is just as deadly.

Don't want to get into an argument or anything, just my advice as I don't like people getting dead.

If you want to learn how to corner fast on the road, have a read of Motorcycle Roadcraft and see how the police do it on their big machines. It'll give you an idea of how to corner at the maximum safe speed for the road. With road riding, that shouldn't involve putting anything down, really.

Reply to this Topic
max748

May 12

max748 says:

no normal road!

There is only one section of road that I would ever ride this way on, This is no normal road. I know it like the back of my hand. perfect curves, perfect surface and very pretty surroundings too. And i'll always do a slower pass to start off with to make sure there are no changed traffic conditions.

I simply can't afford a track day.

I'm not saying it's safe, but i figure, what's the point in living if your too scared of dying to actually live. But thanks anyway for the concearn :)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

I have to admit

i used have had this problem but its my fault for hanging my feet right down off the pegs it only ever happened by acident and tended to be the camber of the road as i wasnt really leaning that much and usually with a pillion on which i think lowered the ground clearence of the bike. From what i have read its best to have the front of your foot touching the peg rather than the back so you have better "feel" through the peg and i now ride like this anyway generally. Although i have never "got my knee down" i have always felt i could easily have done by hanging off that bit more "I dont wear knee sliders" I dont feel you have to have the bike at extreme lean angles to get your knee to touch the ground. I have touched the pegs off the road but not on a public road and i wouldnt do this on a public road because as said you dont know whats on the road or round the corner and you could easily catch the peg in a pot hole etc in the road and be off.

Reply to this Topic
max748

May 12

max748 says:

only concearn

was that in my licence training cource (done in Australia) they instructed us to have your foot more foward on the peg and to point your toes outwards when not using the foot controlls.

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Ball of foot on peg

That's how I was taught and it did help improve my control of braking, gears etc.

Reply to this Topic
Ride4Fun

Apr 05

Ride4Fun says:

Feet

I only move my foot on the peg if I anticipate my toe might catch the ground, otherwise I don't as I want to have the most efficient use of the controls.  If you watch the racers, you'll see they tend to do this, too.  It looks daft if you're constantly moving your feet forweards and backwards for no reason...why do that?

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i just keep the center of my foot on th peg as that works for me . just do what feels best for you and the bike you ride.

the only time i got my boot / prg scrapping was on a classic xl125

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

On the CBF 125

It was better to have the balls of my feet on the pegs as the size & position of the gear & rear brake levers meant to have the centre of my foot on the pegs I had to have my feet pointing outwards (duck footed).

On the CBR600 I can have the centre of feet on the pegs & still have my feet straight.

So I suppose it's a case of what suits your & your bike.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

knee down

on local roads youd have to be suicidal to even attempt it! cadwell park is only 30 mins away, track days are cheap if you fall off on a public road and hit someone else or cause injury to yourself or worse..as ex forces, i always think should i, then think its not worth it..having a picture of my wife and kids in my head stops the racetrack antics..

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I can't see

the point (especially on  track days) where you's needlessly want to keep moving your foot back and forth.

I had a track day with an instructor and he told me to keep the front tucked in with the ability to change gear as smoothly as possible. Apparently I looked like Donald duck with my feet protruding out:shock:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices