Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow takes maiden podium in Brno thriller MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow takes maiden podium in Brno thriller

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow takes maiden podium in Brno thriller

Cal Crutchlow ended a 12-year wait for a British rider to score a MotoGP podium after he took third place in this afternoon’s Brno MotoGP race. The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team rider finished behind a thrilling scrap between Spanish duo Dani Pedrosa and Jorge Lorenzo, which Pedrosa won after an enthralling last lap. Pedrosa took his third win of the season...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 August 2012 14:44)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

History Benny, history.

If Cal goes on to regularly beat his team mate this year, the history books won't remember anything other than the result. Can you remember what equipment Rossi's team mate was running in 2004? - of course you can't ( at least not without looking ) however, we all remember the eventual outcome.. You need to show a little more humility Rev, it's an ugly trait defending a position in the face of overwhelming facts..Cal has done very well, accept it and then move on..

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Rev, you may be right..

Cal may well have sold his immediate "world title dream's" for the odd podium or two. That's an odd one or two more than Dovi will see for the coming 2 years. Selling out?..I think so.. I apologise if I may have frightened you with my tone, you know I only have love for you. xx

Reply to this Topic
Lorenzo99

Jun 10

Lorenzo99 says:

World Championship Hopes

Realistically neither Cal or Dovi stand a chance in winning a Moto GP world championship.Only the Elite Alien group really stand a chance,they are incredibly gifted riders on the very best of the best machinary with the entire factory behind them.No disrespect to either Cal or Dovi,but neither quite fits into the Alien catagory.

For example next year Marc Marquez will go straight into the Honda Repsol factory team,why ? Because they have him down as the next big thing,the next Alien.Rossi,straight into the Yamaha factory team,steam rolling over both Cal & Dovis ambition to move up to a factory ride.OK,sponsorship is a major factor but Rossi is also classed as a top Alien,or a least he was.

I think both Dovi & Cal are great,dont get me wrong,but can you ever see them getting a real shot at winning the championship ? I know it isnt fair but thats the way the cookie crumbles,so it would be wise to make the most of what you can while you can.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Dear Rev..

..unfortunately I'm not privy to Cal's inner circle, so like you, it's impossible for me to answer your question with any conviction. I'm sure that Crutchlow's team have got a plan in place, and that may well be to show Dovi how to ride the Ducati in 2014. I'm pretty certain by then the Italian will be crying out for some kind of help. Don't you?..

Reply to this Topic
BarkerBill

Feb 12

BarkerBill says:

Revv Ben

Taff.,

once more take a'hold, the alcohol is perverting your normally lucid mindset.

Like Calvin,  get a grip boyo!

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Lorenzo99

I think both Dovi & Cal are great,dont get me wrong,but can you ever see them getting a real shot at winning the championship ?

Dovi had 3 years on a Repsol, so he's had plenty of time to put in a challenge but never got close.

As for Cal, I'm edging to agree with you but I'm still not sure how good he can actually be just yet. Sunday was a faultless performance and he hung on well to the front two in the early stages, but at the moment Pedrosa and Lorenzo are in a different league. More performances like that for the rest of the year though should give a boost to his confidence and self-belief that he can at least run close to them.

Next year, if he has a closer spec to the factory bikes who knows what may unfold but it is still going to be tough. Pedrosa and Lorenzo will still be there as the benchmark, Marquez will be an unknown quantity at first as will Rossi, realistically. If both perform to expectations though, the fight for a podium will be really hard fought for and with a satellite bike, higher than 4th may prove difficult if 'the four' don't suffer problems.

Can't understand the negative attitude towards Cal taking the one year deal. What else is there?

Reply to this Topic
Lorenzo99

Jun 10

Lorenzo99 says:

Machinary

Only the most exeptional riders,or those who are preceived as having the ability to be exeptional will get the top machinary,ei Factory Hondas & Yamahas.Im afraid I dont put the Ducati in this catagory as previous results have shown its performance often falls behind even the satellite bikes.

Its the combination of exeptional rider & exeptional bike that wins championships.One with out the other will not work & yeild the desired results.The factorys decide based on performance,nationality,ability,potential & results who they want on theyre top bikes.Im sure there also seems to be a train of thought that a rider who has come up from a 125 / 250 or Moto 3 / 2 career will get better results in Moto GP than a rider who has come from WSBK or a similar series.This is purly my opinion & I have no evidence to back this up,it is purly my opinion.

The reason I say that is exeptional riders who have taken this career route ie Lorenzo,Rossi & Marquez have been taken straight into the factory teams as rookies.Other riders such as Ben,Cal & Tosland have had to start theyre Moto GP career in a satellite team.Some of this may have been because of rule changes but there does seem to be a patern.

Any way to cut to the chase,the main factorys only target the most exeptional riders & you really do have to be very exeptional,ie Rossi,Casey,Dani,Lorenzo etc.Any thing less than this high bench mark is either considered for the satellite teams or as a number 2 factory rider if you are extremely lucky.

P.S. All these guy are exeptional in my eyes but the Top grade the Aliens are some thing else & I think they are the only ones with the MEANS to win championships.

Reply to this Topic
CJeffrey

Aug 12

CJeffrey says:

Well done Cal

Well done Cal, was nice to see a Brit on the podium in the top class. Shame his performance will be quite rightly out shadowed by the two riders who finished before him in the race but never the less he had a great weekend. With the news that he's staying with the same team next year hopefully we can see more of this more often in the end of this season and the whole of next year.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Last chance Crutchlow. Oh dear.

Last chance?  says who?

And last chance is better than no chance.

Motogp is the pinnacle and what most riders would aspire to, just as they aspire to be world champion of Motogp. For some, the realisation that it will never happen will come sooner or later, but until it does, they have hope. After it has, some are content to hang on and take the money, achieving nothing, some will move on. Just to compete at the level Cal has managed already is a huge achievement. He's hardly flopping around at the rear, wasting a competitive ride, like others before him on full factory equipment. Present time, there are just 4 factory seats in Motogp. What are you saying, the rest should just pack up and leave them to it? Outside of those 4, to remain racing in Motogp, the Tech3 ride is the best option to keep in the focus of team managers. 

Podiums this year are really only achievable if Stoner, Lorenzo or Pedrosa fail to get there for whatever reason. Wins for anyone else against those three is virtually unattainable. Podiums next year will be equally as difficult. However, Marquez is the big unknown and he could crash his way out of a few races in his first season. A slip up by one of the other three and if Cal is close enough, he could get on the bottom step.

If Dorna and the FIM can guarantee a stable set of rules for 2014 onwards, there may be factory teams entered by BMW, Suzuki and who knows who else. Another solid year on the Tech3 bike for Cal could well pave the way for a factory ride with another manufacturer. Even Ducati may have a sorted bike by then. Opportunities may open.

Ultimately, if it all leads nowhere, he will at least have tried and put in a good showing, something to be proud of. WSB will always be there and there is plenty of time to go back to that series if chances to ride a competitive full factory bike fail to materialise in Motogp.

The 'sold out' accusations are garbage. He wants to succeed in Motogp and at this moment in time, he's picked the best option to stay on that course.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

sour

:lol:benny is just sour because cal got the deal and support dovi wanted from yamaha but the euro was not enough, maybe he just want enough money to quit.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices