You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Advice needed

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

graememan

Sep 08

graememan says:

Advice needed

Hello, I want to start riding and park the car. The plan is, keep the car and SORN it. The insurance expires in 2 weeks. Can i keep the car parked, with NO insurance.? Transfer the policy to a bike (125)? What happens later on  when i want to re-insure the car? Is there a problem if i have non continious cover for a car? lots of questions, hope all this makes some sense but no guarantee. thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 August 2012 10:36)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Nope

insurance can't be transfered between cars and bikes, if you have no claims on your car insurance that means nothing if you want to insure a bike.

Best have two policys running consecutively both gaining no claims bonuses.

Reply to this Topic
graememan

Sep 08

graememan says:

insurance

thanks for reply. Thought about staying with current insurer and try the loyal customer option, if they want my custom/money can they provide the best price. Octagon are the agent for One quote direct. One quote direct do bike insureance. Dont want/ cant afford 2 policys at the same time when one or other car/bike will not be used . Think its a waste of money. Does the car need to be insured if its on SORN

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"Does the car need to be insured if its on SORN"

No,but if it's stolen or damaged then it's your loss.

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

SORN

Remember that if you sorn the car if must be off road ie. on a drive or in a garage. It can't be parked in the back lane etc.

Your car no claims may expire after a year or two so check that out.

How long do you intend to park the car up for? If you can keep them both on the road then you have the best of both worlds. Tax on the 125 is only £16 & third party, fire & theft may be low depending on age etc.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
graememan

Sep 08

graememan says:

insurane

phoned the insurance people. was expecting them to intice me to stay on with some kind of policy. didnt happen. i said the car was SORN and didnt need insurane. quick as a flash, she says ok. will send the paperwork out . bye and good night. must of took 10 seconds. Im now commuting on my first bike. Big smiles

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices