Skip to content

Ask an Expert cbr900rr v all new 600 750s etc New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > cbr900rr v all new 600 750s etc

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Swarez27

Aug 12

Swarez27 says:

cbr900rr v all new 600 750s etc

I've recently passed my test and I have been looking and getting a 600 or 750 sports bike. But as I was looking around ( my girlfriend found it) we noticed a '96 fireblade 900 and I thought she was trying to get me killed, until I looked at the facts and figures and noticed that the blade was slower and less powerful than nearly all these bikes and cheaper to buy would it be sensible to get the blade instead of the powerful small bikes

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 August 2012 12:47)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Blade vs 600

The engine in the CBR900 will be less stressed than the 600/750 and it will be easier to access the power that is on offer.  To get greater BHP out of a smaller capacity usually means that it will be in a higher state of tune.  Make no mistake, the Fireblade is still a very fast road bike - even compared to more recent tackle. 

To be honest though, I would not recommend any of these machines to the new rider.  Desireable they may be but it takes a level of skill and experience to get the best from them.  There are far better bikes out there for developing your skills.  Look for something less extreme that you can get more out of - that way you will learn more.  Think along the lines of 600 Bandit/Hornet/Fazer or similar.  All have enough performance and handling for someone of your experience but in a package that will allow you to use and enjoy it.     

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Have you

thought about the insurance on these bikes? As a newbie, it may prove a sticking point.

It's not just numerical "on paper" power that counts on bikes, but how it's delivered; sportsbikes can be highly strung bloody things.

The other points to consider are a) sporty machines are almost inevitably a thieves jackpot prize, and

b) as a newbie, you need to factor the cost of a drop; a fully faired sportsbike can be an eye-watering bloody thing with all the plastic bodywork when your picking it up off its side - its something we've all done. I'd advocate not spending too much on a first bike for this reason.

As well as the Hornet / Bandit / Fazer already mentioned, Kawasaki's ER5 or ER6 and Suzuki's SV650 are competent bikes too - much depends however, on your budget.

Reply to this Topic
Swarez27

Aug 12

Swarez27 says:

Cheers

I shall take this onboard and seeing as winter is here I might just get a boat instead

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle