Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: Should I take my kid on the back? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: Should I take my kid on the back?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

You ask/You answer: Should I take my kid on the back?

My kids are aged eight and six, and the eldest is badgering me to take him on the back of the ZX-9R. Should I? Can I trust him to hold on properly? And what's the bare minimum of kit I should get for him (apart from a helmet, obviously)? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 August 2012 12:59)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Depends on You

I took both my girls on the pillion as soon as they were big enough to sit safely, reach the footrests and understand what was going on. Obviously you ride a little smoother and safety is uppermost in your mind with such a precious cargo but both my girls were excellent passengers. One went on to ride bikes the other didn't. One came to the TT with me and the other came to Le Mans. Memories we will treasure.

Reply to this Topic
jhandley

Aug 10

jhandley says:

Agreed

Full kit, nothing less.  I also got myself a "Pillion Pal" when the kids started to go out with me - a belt that has 2 grab handles on it - cheap, gives them a firm hand-hold and gave me the confidence that they were still holding tight!

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

I won't go on about kit etc. but would simply say - YES. All of mine have been on the back of my bikes in the past and loved it. It helps them to appreciate life a bit more and gives them a new way of looking at the world. It helps to open their mind and gets them away from electronic gadgets. It is something tangible, not ethereal.

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

Taken my nephew out a

few times - much to the worry of his paranoid hypochondriac mother.  Definitely get the pillion-pal belt as although they might want to hold on to the grab-rail, the belt provides a bit more security.  Arrange a signal between each other if your kid wants to stop... my nephew gives me a couple of pokes in the ribs.  He knows that I will stop for anything, even if he just wants to stretch his legs for a few seconds.

Buying them all new off-the-peg protective clothing is a good idea, but realistically beyond many of us, particularly if you can't guarantee that they'll enjoy it and stick with it.  I got my nephew a new helmet - a Nitro in the sales for £40, and an all-purpose back protector from Lidl for around £25.  His dad bought him a leather bike jacket with all the logos etc on, which he loves and would wear anywhere, and a pair of leather gloves from the army surplus store. He wears jeans and rockport boots. 

We only blat around the city on the bike, and a few low speed A and B roads.  I never go above 30-40mph, reason being that if those poncey looking cyclists consider themselves ok cycling at those speeds with a skintight bit of lycra for protection, then my nephew should be ok with a bit more.

The deal is, if he wants to go faster then no problem... save up your birthday and Christmas money, go without your mobile phone, and put the money towards some better gear.  His choice.

Reply to this Topic
5valve

Aug 12

5valve says:

Yes it can

Drive savely, full gear watch my 8 year old daughter 2 years ago on the back of my FJR 1300 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRQyAFtDFTI

Reply to this Topic
busaman195

Aug 09

busaman195 says:

go for it

Yes why not,take it nice and easy can`t see a prob with this.

Reply to this Topic
gavweb69

Sep 08

gavweb69 says:

Yes you should!

My son had ridden on the back of my bikes since he was 7 years old, just gentle little local jaunts, he now nearly 10 and we had a great time in Belgium in July. We do the school run on the bike sometimes too. The child has to know what is involved, be fully kitted out and a top box helps for confidence and safety, but why not? We have a great time, he loves it and if we want biking to survive we have to get our kids interested in proper bikes, not just racing. Introduce it slowly, be sensible and have fun I say.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Go slow

If you ride it's hard to justify them not having a go on the back BUT be aware that once you take one of them, the other is going to badger you like crazy to have a go too so maybe delay until you can do it for both. The rest is obvious.. the first couple of times on a quiet street, in gear, 15-20mph max, and do a few things like u-turns to get them used to being on the back.. after that.. keep the speed down.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Short ride...

I would make the first ride a short one. I have only ridden pillion once, but my arms were getting tired and I was nauseous after about 4 minutes. Guy said he would only go about 6/10 the speed through the corners he was riding solo, so the fear of us crashing never entered my mind.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Speed

I did manage to get a peek at the speedometer once on my first pillion ride – 125 before braking. That is 125 mph, not kph. : )

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices