Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: Should I take my kid on the back? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: Should I take my kid on the back?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

You ask/You answer: Should I take my kid on the back?

My kids are aged eight and six, and the eldest is badgering me to take him on the back of the ZX-9R. Should I? Can I trust him to hold on properly? And what's the bare minimum of kit I should get for him (apart from a helmet, obviously)? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 August 2012 12:59)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bikefar

May 08

Bikefar says:

Depends on the child..

If your child thinks that your motorbike always goes around at 100 m.p.h. then maybe not.

If your child is fairly responsible (as kids go) then maybe it could be good. Don't forget your child may have his/her own driving licence one day!

As for biking gear, give him/her everything - lid, boots, gloves, armoured jacket, armoured trousers.

Finally, Mum/Dad, don't forget it's your seed on the back, and don't scare him/her to death. That acheives nothing.

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

Congratulations

Slightly off topic I know, but I'd like to congratulate you all on appearing to have managed what to my friends was impossible - namely getting married, having children and still keeping your bikes. I'm not married and still ride, the only one left from my school days. Also, if making sure they wear the correct kit is a sign of how much you love and care for your child (which seems obvious), what does that say about the chaps I see on the M25 on the way to Brands for BSB who are charging down lane 3 with their bird perched up high on the pillion behind them wearing nothing but a helmet, pair of tights and a denim jacket? No real love there then one suspects. She should be able to see she's wasting her time... Regarding the question, I don't have children, so wouldn't know but I can guess and it seems it's all been covered by the sensible answers below. I especially like the response 'it's almost stopped raining, can we go now?' That's dedication!

Reply to this Topic
Unk13

Feb 11

Unk13 says:

Dumb Question

I cannot believe that in one moment you are asking if you should take your siblings on the back of your bike and then asking what the 'bare minimum' of kit you need. If you feel like that then do them a favour and leave them at home. Why would you not get them all the kit you deem to need for 'you' to go on a bike?

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

Kids

simple answer is, if thier feet can reach the foot rests then yes .

A bit of advice take your time and explain what to do ie leaning into corners and not against it.

If you ride like an idiot with them on the back, you will scare the hell out of them and destroy their confidance in you and riding, They are the future of bikeing dont kill it.

I have taken all my kids and grandkids on the back of the bike. They all loved it. as for kit well how much are your kids worth.

Reply to this Topic
NathanCBR

Mar 11

NathanCBR says:

Depennds

If you know how to ride with pillions i.e not racing around like an idiiot and they can reach the footpegs and understand the safety and protocol's of going pillion go ahead! they'll love it

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

@happylemon666 - I managed to keep a bike during my first marriage ( a CX 500 custom, eeek!). Getting divorced cost loadsamoney, but I've managed to acquire 3 bikes now, through saving hard and sheer good luck. Mind you, the rugrats are very expensive when young, which gets no better as they get older because the toys and wants are more sophisticated..................still, I managed to lose 200 lbs of unsightly fat overnight. The ex walked out! 

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"I managed to lose 200 lbs of unsightly fat overnight. The ex walked out!"

PMSL.:lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

NO NO NO

At those ages the kids aren't strong enough to hold on and their legs couldn't possibly push properly on the pegs though bends.

Reply to this Topic
trackdayfreak

Oct 11

Iv'e been riding for 30 years and thought I was a pretty safe rider,however,two weeks ago I was riding back from Matlock bath when a gentleman pulled straight out of a pub car park right at the last minute straight into my path,I only just avoided him and scared myself silly.

You can be the best rider in the world and someone can still take you out,would you want to risk your kids life?

As for kit I would suggest full leathers top notch helmet good gloves and bike boots.

Reply to this Topic
KWAKZ750S

Aug 08

KWAKZ750S says:

used to take

my kid on the back ( aged about 8), only on short journeys though.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle