Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: Should I take my kid on the back? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: Should I take my kid on the back?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

You ask/You answer: Should I take my kid on the back?

My kids are aged eight and six, and the eldest is badgering me to take him on the back of the ZX-9R. Should I? Can I trust him to hold on properly? And what's the bare minimum of kit I should get for him (apart from a helmet, obviously)? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 August 2012 12:59)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
oily1984

Mar 09

oily1984 says:

Yes

The youngest I've had on the back of my bike is 6. It's absolutely fine if you're sensible with riding speeds, distance and location provided they can reach the pegs. If nervous (you or pillion) take them round a deserted car park to help them and yourself develop a feel for the situation then slowly build up over time in series of short rides.

As for gear a properly fitting helmet is a must not just any random cast off, ditto for gloves these take the most abuse in low speed crashes. Also sturdy boots, trousers and jacket. Given the price probably worth doing the car park before shelling out £400 for full riding kit but a must have if planning longer/more spirited riding which can be built up too in a relatively short space of time.

Reply to this Topic
oily1984

Mar 09

oily1984 says:

Unk13- Dumb Answer

Siblings are your brothers and sisters not your children. Also it's a valid question, do absolutely need full race kit for a 10mph tour of the car park to see if they like it? My first go on the back of a bike was done in jeans and a denim jacket at about 7 yrs old since we didn't go above 15mph I don't see the problem especially when in shorts and T shirt on the push bike I could mange 30 odd down hill.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle