You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > New Tyres

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DBrooker

Aug 12

DBrooker says:

New Tyres

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and also new to the big bikes, I use to ride 125's few years back but now I'm on a Yamaha R6. Just wanted to ask if anyone has the same on similar bike and what tyres they use?at the moment I have old bridgestone and Dunlop on front ( straight away not good start having mixed tyres ) but yesterday trying to get knee down in the dry and front was slipping out. I've been told to replace them. I'm thinking of getting Michelin 2CT's? Any suggestions. Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 August 2012 21:57)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tyres

Welcome DBrooker (rossi),front slipping out on a possible knee down:shock:,

you should be on a track/s and beat them all.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Before

you bin them tyres, what pressures are you running?

Reply to this Topic
DBrooker

Aug 12

DBrooker says:

New tyres

I'm no Rossi Jaffa90 haha! Not ready for any track work yet, although I've heard tommy hill is down there teaching? Cheers

Reply to this Topic
DBrooker

Aug 12

DBrooker says:

AdieR

AdieR your definitely right, the tyres are going. Thinking of getting 2CT's. Last time I done pressures they were to manufacturers book. What pressures do you think, speaking to another bikerhe says 32-21 (front-rear)

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

The Pressures

You're quoting would only be of use on the track!

The standard pressures usually quoted by the tyre manufacturers for road use is 36psi front & 42psi rear, this is usually sports/sport-tourers. Those are a Guideline though, depends what sort of riding you're going to be doing. As you're also running old, mis-matched this might be a reasonable starting point until you get the new ones.

As for the new ones, for what you're describing as your riding style I'd suggest a set of road-sport (2CT, BT16s etc) or sport-touring (BT23, Road Smart etc) would fit your requirements, but that along with fitting those you stop trying to get your knee down on the road & go do a couple of track days and practice there, at least there, when you do cock it up you're less likely to come into collision with an artic!!:blink::smile 

Less likely to piss the Constabulary off too!! 

Reply to this Topic
DBrooker

Aug 12

DBrooker says:

Amatuercynic

Thank you good advice, I will eventually get myself on track to gain more and better experience. For now I like to go for a ride about during the week or to work and then weekend have a blast, have some with it really! So just want the best tyres but at the same take on board peoples opinions and knowledge because I might be better off. Thanks 

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

If you're running

32/21, they're far too low.

My '58 Fazer is 33F / 36R for normal use and 36F / 42R loaded/two-up - your R6 will probably be similar (mine is currently on Bridgestone Battlax BT-020s).

What state are your tyres in? If they're unevenly worn (camber), or squared off at the back, that can cause ill-handling too. You mention slipping - what was your road surface like?

Reply to this Topic
DBrooker

Aug 12

DBrooker says:

AdieR

The tread is actually quite alot considering they've been on the bike for quite a while, rear tyre does have a Lil bit of squaring on too so you're probably right there mate. I think they are old tyres and been there for a few years so they have degraded. Previous owner wasn't really a biker he use it for a blast down motorway really. He actually said he only used it 5 times last year. 

Reply to this Topic
plumbus

Aug 12

plumbus says:

hello

hello D brooker i am in the same sort of ball game as you are and i have been having the same sort of problems it is always important to check your tyre pressures when your tyres are warm your tyre pressure should increase from cold pressures so you never know what air is actually in there when they are hot chances are they are to hot my last track day it was cold but dry i was running 22 psi front and 24 rear and it felt amazing on rockingham national circuit it just takes a little playing around to suit yourself

Reply to this Topic
DBrooker

Aug 12

DBrooker says:

Plumbus

Thanks for advice mate, since I last spoke on here I've bought new tyres and played around with pressures but at the mo the weather I'm getting rain but even in the wet I can notice a difference. What tyres are you running on your bike? Any other tracks you been on? I live near brands hatch and was going to do a track day after Xmas.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices