You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Restricting to 33BHP

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Deadpowerful

Aug 12

Deadpowerful says:

Restricting to 33BHP

Hello. I was wondering about restricting a Kawasaki GPX 250 1994, as I have never looked into this before and I am not sure whether I have to go to a Kawasaki dealer or garage etc. Any advice would be appreciated! Also do I have to obtain a kit myself or would the dealer/garage get hold of it?

Cheers 

[This Topic has been modified by the Moderator]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 August 2012 22:38)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

GPX250

Stick it on a dyno - I don't think you'll find it makes enough power to need restricting. 

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Is this

the one?

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_gpx250r%2089.htm

If so, it runs at 45bhp. To restrict it, all you need to do is get a restrictor kit and install it (ebay), and get it dyno'd. You can choose to get it done by a garage, but they'll charge a price for it.

You don't legally need a certificate either (insurers might ask for one), despite what suppliers / fitters might tell you.

Reply to this Topic
Deadpowerful

Aug 12

Deadpowerful says:

Restriction

The bike is one of these:

It is 45BHP so I would imagine it would still be running at over 33.
I do know the legality of the certificate but as the insurance company I am going to use apparently wants one to insure me then I need  one.
Can you show me one of the restrictors as I cant fin any on ebay.
Cheers

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

GPX250

I still say stick it on a dyno first.  In those days a lot of manufacturers were a little 'enthusiastic' about the BHP figures they quoted.  I would be surprised if an 18-year old, highly tuned 250 was shoving out 45 BHP. 

I might be wrong but for the sake of a dyno run you could save yourself the trouble and expense of having the thing restricted.   

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

power to weight

Would need throttling down to 142*0.16 = 22.7kW = 30bhp under the power to weight limit.

Visit www.alphatechnik.de using Chrome browser (auto translation from German).  They do pretty much all the official kits.  They list kits for 26kW/34bhp GPX250 '88-89 and for the 35kW/46bhp ZXR250 from '89 onwards.  Check the chassis number prefixes - maybe the bike get's different names in different markets?

It can be cheaper to source the same alphatechnik kits via www.cheap33bhprestrictorkits.com, or a lot dearer through a dealer...  Kits include a certificate to be signed by a professional if you need one.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices