Skip to content

Ask an Expert Paypal paying scam? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Paypal paying scam?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Destructo82

Aug 12

Destructo82 says:

Paypal paying scam?

Ladies and Gents,

Just joined and wanted a bit of advice.

Got myself a shiny new bike the other day, and looking to sell the old one.

Put my fzs600 on ebay and within 48hrs received 5 offers from people all 'working overseas, on offshore rigs or boasting elaborate names and job titles' etc who want to paypal me money and get a courier to collect my bike. All of them seem set on describing in detail how to set up a paypal a/c in case I've recently had a full frontal lobotomy and can't manage it myself.

Now, with the frequency and similarities of these requests I've assumed there is some scam involving paypal payments for large sums of money (as I've never had this with lower value items). I've told the band of jokers they should always view bikes personally before buying, and I will only accept cash on collection...but I couldn't help wondering what this scam is? I thought Paypal was a safe method of payment over tinternet...how can these people rob me of my bike this way?

Oh and needless to say, the bike is going on here soon...if you're looking for an fzs600 yes I do have paypal and no you can't send a courier round!

Thanks,

Greg.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 August 2012 23:02)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Reply to this Topic
Destructo82

Aug 12

Destructo82 says:

Thanks

I can't believe a buyer can request a different delivery address to that verified on the paypal account, then claim a refund after the seller delivers to that address (even with proof of delivery). Shocker.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

One favourite method

is using rubber cheques (ie, they bounce, usually leaving you without a bike or money).

Don't know if you've used it, but try the http://foc-u.co.uk (Fazer) site; someone on there was looking for an FZS600 recently - maybe worth a try?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
harringtonpw

Feb 04

harringtonpw says:

Tried MCN?

I hope someone's gone onto eBay community boards asking about how to sell safely on MCN... :lol:

Not only are we the worlds largest motorcycle site, but we've spent an awful lot of time and money stopping these scammers contacting our sellers. And we theft-check the bikes for free. And your ad goes into a paper with 100k+ readership. And we're way cheaper than eBay or Trader.
Destructo - if you're still looking to sell, please PM me.
Cheers,
Paul.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Destructo82

Aug 12

Destructo82 says:

Thanks, I'll put a note out on Foc-u and stick it on here as well.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle