You are in... Forums > General > General > Bike Question

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

tw95

Aug 12

tw95 says:

Bike Question

I am doing my A2 soon. I have been thinking about my next bike, however I need some help in choosing something.

My options are:
A bike designed to produce around 33bhp (e.g Ninja 250r)
or
A bigger bike with restrictor.

Does anyone have any experience of this choice or if not is there a particular bike you would recommend?

Currently I ride a KTM Duke 125. It isn't fast at all but the handling is great. I have been thinking of something similar to it but I am happy to change as well.

Hope to hear back from you. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (31 August 2012 21:38)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
EDSBK

Dec 10

EDSBK says:

33BHP

I was restricted to the 33bhp rule for 2 years, back in 1998 ish. I went for a Yamaha TZR250 with a restrictor fitted. When I had it removed it made only a little difference from what I remember. Mind you 33 to 45 BHP was not alot.

Even restricted the bike kept up with my mate on a GPz500 once the power valve opened and it could get into 3 figures just about.
My theory was the bike didnt have much BHP unrestricted so loosing just 12BHP shouldn't make much difference.
 From what I remember it was a frustrating 2 years, the worst part of the restrictor was it seemed to take longer to build up to 8000 revs to where the power valve opened, then it was more fun.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Lewisboard

Jul 12

Lewisboard says:

just passed my A2

I just passed my A2 the other week and after much deliberation i decided........not to be sensible. I've bought a Triumph Daytona 600 had the restriction fitted and rode it a few times. it's not great as I've got fuck all throttle movement. but it still kick's more than the Cagiva i had before. i can easily cruise at motorway speeds and then bit more

something like a sv650 bit more sensible and better on insurance that a ninja 250 or an old vfr or zxr 400 are pretty cheap to insure as well.
restrictions aren't great and instillation can cost a bit (remember that when your buying the bike) but you've got a big bike your used to two years later you just pop the kit off and  your done. good luck with your test.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

It'll depend

partly on your budget - bear in mind insurance will be a kicker too.

If you're planning to restrict a big bike, a twin cylinder (SV650, ER5 / 6, CB500) tends to restrict better than 4-cylinder bikes - they make power lower down so don't get "strangled" like 4's do (you'll lose a bit on top though, but it's of little consequence); a restricted twin will still be capable of 100mph.

Get insurance quotes, but you may find an old ER5 easier to insure than the relatively new (and pricey) Ninja 250.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

you coud get a ktm duke 200 or 350 as it about the same size as the 125.

the insurance was fing cheap when i did this 5years ago as i clamped a bmw r100gs to 33bhp at the rear wheel 65bhp for 140 fptf  when i got the insurance no body asked to see any paper work.

just reamber that you can doing the work your self then get a dyao to show 33bhp at the rear wheel.

Reply to this Topic
Istate75

May 09

Istate75 says:

33HP

I looked into this for my son when he passed his A2 test in February. As AdieR says some bikes restrict better than others. 4 cylinder sportsbikes are ruined by restricting them but twins in particular are pretty unaffected as their power is lower down the rev range. Also insurance on a restricted sportsbike is still very high compared to a bike that started with less power. My son ended up with a GS500 restricted properly by Suzuki with certificate (different sliders etc not just washers like some do) so down from 50HP to 33HP and it's great fun to ride. It'll just do 3 figures at a push but pulls great at low-mid range.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices