You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Suspension > Improving RF600

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gregnicks

Oct 10

gregnicks says:

Improving RF600

I've seen some GSXR750 front forks at a reasonable price..These are 41mm, the same size as the Front forks on my RF600. Would these be a straight bolt on? and if so would they improve the overall handling of my bike. and would using the GSXR Calipers and master cylinder improve the braking performance..I'd also like some ideas for improving the rear end. would a progressive spring in the shock or a new hagon unit be better?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 September 2012 22:04)

Post a message in Suspension

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki RF 600 Year?

Hi Gregnicks and welcome to the site:smile

Putting a good make after market full adjustable shock in the rear would help things no end,as for the front forks your not specific enough with the year or model to make even a wild judgment on these?,unless you have access to these parts very cheap or you love this bike so much your going to keep it for a very long time,it could be a great expense for a defunct model that was never that great in its day(only my opinion)could be a good idea to fit new fork springs and change the oil in the forks,this would make things a lot better with a new rear shock. Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Upgrades

KCMC has hit the nail on the head.  A decent rear shock will make an amazing difference but it's really not worth the hassle of a fork change.  In most cases this is not a bolt-on-and-go process and machining, fitting & set up will be needed.  You current forks would benefit from an overhaul and maybe a set of progressive springs and you will see a noticeable difference for your efforts.  Similar with your brakes - overhaul rather than replace. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
gregnicks

Oct 10

gregnicks says:

RF600

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated..The forks I've seen are for a GSXR750 F/G/H....Though it seems I'd be better off investing in a good rear shock..I know that the RF isn't considered a great bike, but it's my ride and I'd lilke to improve the weaker areas, ie Handling and braking..

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

If you can get better parts at

a reasonable price and they'll fit, it's always going to be worth doing, but you do have to consider whether it would be better to get a different bike....also you need to consider whether any mods need to be reported to the insurance company these days, as they may affect your policy, worst scenario is to be told your policy is invalid after a claim because of mods :shock:

As far as I know, the RF600 and 900 are not bad bikes at all, they do have a reasonably capable chassis and engine to my knowledge, just the styling didn't spark everyones enthusiasm, and riding position should be ok for distance too.

Another factor to consider is also whether money might be better spent on tuition and training for yourself to get more out of your bikes capabilities rather than lashing money out on bits and pieces in the hope of making it perform better :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices