Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Destructo82

Aug 12

Destructo82 says:

Autocom PTT switch mod

Ladies and Gents,

This is a stupidly long write up on an autocom modification which someone in the distant future may find useful...

I recently acquired a ptt switch for bike to bike use with my autocom unit. With the clip-ons on my CBR however, there were next to no options for mounting the switch in a convenient place to operate with my clutch hand. After a quick double check on the rules I found out the passing light switch is not an MOT requirement and decided it was in the perfect place to operate while riding…this is when my selection of hammers came out and I went to work.

Firstly I opened up the autocom switch, held together with a single screw and removed the guts. There is 3 way toggle switch used to change the settings from VOX, PTT and constant transmit. I have read on quite a number of sites the toggle switch can easily be knocked while riding to either VOX or constant. If the latter occurs, fellow riders will not be able to override your transmit and tell you to shut it off…and if you enjoy singing to meatloaf while you are riding, the consequences could be severe. I don't sing to meatloaf, but I do sing badly, so I opted to do away with this toggle switch altogether, and just rely on the ptt function to broadcast. There are a number of wires looping from switch to switch in the unit, mainly blue ones, but there are just three wires coming into the switch, one blue, one red and one black. The red and black ones are the only two you need worry about. I used a soldering iron to separate the three wires from the switch unit, then stripped back the red and black wires (you can cut the blue wire back completely).

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 September 2012 09:23)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Destructo82

Aug 12

Destructo82 says:

Too many words for one post...!!!...cont...

The red and black wires are the ones I wired into the passing light switch. This was a fairly simple job that my ham like fists made take longer than it should have done. I did this on a honda passing light switch but I'm sure the job will be close to identical on most manufacturer switches. There were two screws on the underside of the left hand switch unit. I removed these and split the unit in half. There are two metal clamps (one on each half designed to keep the wiring out of the way). After removing these I traced the wires going to the back of the passing light switch and cut them about 20mm from the switch to leave some wire to work with. The unnecessary passing light wires I taped over and tucked out of the way. The 20mm lengths left on the switch I stripped back a little then soldered onto the red and black autocom wires (and sealed with heat shrink…don't forget to slide this on before soldering!) Note - it doesn't matter which way round you wire the red and black.

That last section took a few seconds to write, but nearer half an hour to carry out because neither my patience or hands are steady enough for this kind of operation. After wiring it all in, it's a case of putting the handle bar switch back together, then routing the ptt cable through your bike to the autocom unit. I had to pop the tank up a bit to run wiring through but it didn't take too long. It's worth testing your indicators, high/low beam and horn once you've put the unit together again, just in case something dislodged while fiddling with the passing switch.

All plugged in and hey presto, passing light operates my transmit function on the radio. There are a few other advantages to this little mod as well. Not only does it look tidy and remove the annoying constant transmit from the system, but I park my bike on the street at night, and I don't really want to advertise the fact I've got a few hundred quids worth of autocom unit stuck under the seat. This mod neatly glosses over that fact!

So quick re-cap.

1) Expose red and black wires from autocom switch.

2) Open handlebar switch unit up and cut 20mm up passing light wires.

3) Strip ends and solder to autocom wires.

4) Cover exposed wire, put back together.

5) Route wiring through bike

6) Sing to meatloaf safely.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

In our case it was somebody

discussing the merits of Sisqo's Thong Song and video with his pillion......:lol:

Very handy bit of info for those with limited handle bar space, in my case I was riding a Yam TDM850 so not too bad for space, have also seen the switch put directly on the grip where it was long enough, to fit in between hand and switchgear, and yes, Meatloaf can be good accompaniment to a rideout :biggrin: get everybody to sing along? :laugh:

Reply to this Topic
Destructo82

Aug 12

Destructo82 says:

Sisqo's Thong song!

Maybe I should fit a mute button next to the PTT!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices