You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > GIVI for gsx-r1000

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ripcurled30

Sep 12

ripcurled30 says:

GIVI for gsx-r1000

Hey guys, I have a 2012 gsx-r1000 and cannot find any info on customizing a givi fitment for it. Anybody have any advice or info?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 September 2012 15:30)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
slidersdown

Mar 07

slidersdown says:

givi gsxr

if you dont take a pillion do the same as me fit a givi mounting plate to a spare pillion seat.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

1. 001  
  2. 001  
Reply to this Topic
ripcurled30

Sep 12

ripcurled30 says:

pillion

That is part of my problem too. My girlfriend rides often with me and I know shewould definitely like something behind her during highway cruising too.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Way back when

someone posted pictures of his custom made rack for Givi panniers on a K7/K8 model.  I've copied some below.  Basically it  hung from the sandwich box via four small bolts (along with rear plate bracket) and was also anchored to the exhaust hanger bolts...

I have a similar setup and it works well.  Might add pictures but my bike is trapped in a garage and drive is all dug up, so could be a couple of weeks.  I used a small engineering firm to do the modding to an existing Givi PLX kit.  I pushed mine a little further back, so pillion pegs are still usable, but my boxes (V35) do obscure the lights from the side.  I added full brightness home-brew LED repeaters in the boxes (using £70 worth of LEDs, plus some drivers) and all is well.  Without a pillion I also add a V46 using an SW-Motech plate bolted through a spare seat, but I wouldn't want to add anything further back i.e. with any more leverage...

Word of warning - bums are good shock absorbers, metalwork may not be.  There have been reports of R1 subframes breaking under the strain of a Ventura rack, and neither Yamaha nor Ventura cover that.  I'd take a good look at the subframe and sandwich box before attaching anything to it - the newer models shed a lot of weight so be extra careful.

The obvious answer is a Hayabusa...

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
ripcurled30

Sep 12

ripcurled30 says:

Wow!

Your bike looks awesome! That is exactly what I am looking to do. Thank you for all the advice, I really appreciate it. It will be a couple months at the most but I'll put some pictures up when I am finished. Thanks again!

Reply to this Topic
ripcurled30

Sep 12

ripcurled30 says:

Oh...

That is not your bike? Sorry, I had to read your post again lol Thatis exactly what I am looking to do though. Post some pics when you get your bike up and running. I'd love to see any mods you have made.

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

You do very defintely need to be

cautious with making this modification, these bikes were never intended for hard luggage, there have been subframe fractures on some GSXRs without even this mod being done, and indeed early model Hayabusas also fractured their subframes with luggage fitted. Slidersdowns topbox should be ok as it replaces the pillion and as long as the straps aren't winched down until things creak should be ok! 

But adding a full complement of boxes and their rack could well overload the subframe especially if a pillion is also carried, even if you stick to the luggage makers weight recommendations, and those aren't that high actually :hmmm: and don't forget, on a sports tourer or a tourer which these systems are made for, the pillion peg hangers that part of the rack fastens to is generally bolted to the main frame and not the subframe, and indeed this doesn't take all the load by any means. Steel subframes may bend under excess weight, the cast and welded alloy ones on these sportsbikes may fail much more suddenly. Your worst case scenario would be full luggage boxes, a pillion and landing off a large bump in the road or a humpback bridge :shock:

I'm inclined to think you might be better with moderate size throwover panniers, tailpack and tankbag :smile

Reply to this Topic
ripcurled30

Sep 12

ripcurled30 says:

Caution...

Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense. Maybe I ought to just add a sissy bar for the girl when she is riding distance with me. As for the luggage, I suppose a good pair of sporty throw over saddle bags will do. I don't want to chance an accident or ruining the structure of my bike.

Thanks for the advice. I love motorcycling but I want to be safe about it too.

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Sensible idea

:smile you can probably use a Ventura rack (or indeed other rack or grab rail) for your girl to hang onto for a bit of extra security (or else wear the belt with handles on yourself to give her something to hold, forget what they're called now, may be pillion luva?) 

A Ventura rack would allow you to carry a large bag resting on the pillion seat or a smaller one behind the pillion when she's on, just keep an eye on the weight of the bag,  as they can have the supporting loop either way around, should be pics on their website etc.

good luck :smile

Reply to this Topic
slidersdown

Mar 07

slidersdown says:

rachet straps

i only use them to stop the movement of pillion seat so no they are not so tight that it should cause any problems

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices