Skip to content

TRIUMPH Triumph unveil new Explorer XC TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

You are in... Forums > TRIUMPH > TIGER 1200 EXPLORER > Triumph unveil new Explorer XC

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Triumph unveil new Explorer XC

This is Triumph’s new XC version of its Explorer 1200 – the surprise unveiling and one of the highlights of the weekend’s Triumph Live at Mallory Park. Built as a more, rugged, off-road orientated version of the Explorer (in a similar way to its smaller Tiger 800 and Tiger 800 XC double act) and undoubtedly aimed squarely at BMW’s R1200GS Adventure,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 September 2012 11:26)

Post a message in TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

If you're going to take this offroad

You'll need more than tyres, you'll need a support crew following you in a 4x4.  Granted, the standard Explorer weighs slightly less than a Bandit 650, but then so does the Ark Royal.  Put the frippery on this, plus the inevitable Long Way Round stylee hard luggage and you're looking at 275kg wet without adding so much as a toothbrush.

One of the big complaints about the Explorer is, and I quote "Throttle is so sensitive on the Explorer its dangerous, if go over a unexpected bump or hit a pot hole you can whack on a load of throttle by accident and it impossible to maintain a smooth constant speed with its hyper sensitive nature, even with a couple of fingers resting on the brake lever trying to wedge the throttle in the same spot."

Sure, Triumph can re-map it for the XC, but it's still the wrong solution for anything other than the Autobahn.

Nobody in their right mind is going to take this thing offroad, ever, except for the bragging rights of having said they've done it.  It's the equivalent of some skull paintwork and assless chaps on a Harley: all about the looks for the vast majority of owners.

Reply to this Topic
black2sugars

May 09

black2sugars says:

eXCplorer

I hate it when manufacturers do this; launch a product which you can't buy for another 8 months :-(((((((

Reply to this Topic
Rgrant

Jan 12

Rgrant says:

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Barnsyuk!

Calais to Munich is approx 600 miles. Assuming you set off with a full tank (and a Triumph would too) then you would both need to stop twice. You might go a bit further before you fill up but how many people ride over 200 miles without getting off anyway?

Reply to this Topic
shottsj

Apr 04

shottsj says:

Here we go again!

Triumph announce a new bike?

Time to start sharpening the knives (or claws perhaps?) before anyone's tried riding one then.

Oh yes and WRT this stuff about the over-sensitve throttle? I've ridden one.....

.....Naaah!

Reply to this Topic
trophyian

May 10

trophyian says:

Cruise Control

I currently ride a Thruxton and BMW K1200Gt. Test rode the Explorer and really enjoyed it although the style is not for me. My main gripe was the cruise control. This felt very vague and it was a real stretch of the fingers to use it, the ergonomics felt so wrong compared with the K1200. I await the NEW Trophy with interest as that's the bike I have been waiting for since my last Trophy, so hope they get that bit sorted.

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Build quality Needs to Improve

I have a 800xc and a Explorer 1215 The 800xc has superb build quality but the Explorer is of a very disappointing build quality and this needs to improve or triumph will loose customers as they are a very difficult company to persuade to put things right when they go wrong in my experience so  i hope they have improved with the 1215 xc and not just put spoke wheels in

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

800 vs. 1200

The Tiger would be a more suitable bike for almost everyone except those with fat pillions – then the extra power and torque would come in handy.

Reply to this Topic
AngelaW

Sep 12

AngelaW says:

welcome to~~~~Seekingbikers [Google it]~~~~the largest dating site for motorcycle enthusiasts and the admirers to find friendship, fun, love and romance. Have a try and you will find your biker soul mate to ride and travel together with. :)

Reply to this Topic
Mistafunky

Oct 11

Mistafunky says:

Real Adventure Bike Comparison

Lets have an adventure bike comparison that covers the full range of adventure bikes from KTM Enduro 690 to GS1200 and other touring bikes for dreamers so we can get a true idea of what these bikes really can’t do! The off-road tests for these 1200 adventure bikes is a joke, just riding along a gravel track and kicking up some dust. Anyone could do that on their sports bike. Kilograms are far more important than cc or bhp when you’re stuck in the middle of The Sahara Desert (I know I’ve been there). All real adventurers care about about is reliability and capability with as few kgs as possible...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle