Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Do you care who's Transport Secretary? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Do you care who's Transport Secretary?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Do you care who's Transport Secretary?

The cabinet reshuffle has resulted in Justine Greening being replaced as Secretary of State for Transport by former chief whip Patrick McLoughlin. This means he's now in charge of the Department of Transport, which claims its role is to; ▪ sustain economic growth and improved productivity through reliable and efficient transport networks▪ improve the environmental performance of transport▪ strengthen the safety and security of transport▪...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 September 2012 13:51)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
polhouse

Sep 05

polhouse says:

You should care who this is.  The wrong person will have us riding round on electric scooters with a range of 30 miles a top speed of 27mph within a few years.

Reply to this Topic
Vortex1952

Mar 11

Vortex1952 says:

Transport Secretary?

I do not understand some readers, they complain about some laws and now they seem not to care who is at the department of transport, by acting like " I don't care" is exactely what they want so they can do whatever they feel like with the power they have; apathy do not pay off...get involved, protest; this is what they will understand.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

It makes no difference

Transport Secretaries do not design transport policy. Like all other MPs (Cabinet or elsewise) they are there to do as directed by the powers that be. So long as there is no major meltdown or riot, they can look forward to making a step up the career ladder to a better department.

Ergo, doesn't matter which MP is in the driving seat. Don't even really matter which party is picking the MP that sits there. If voting ever made a difference, they'd ban it.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Aren't they all

just EU puppets?

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

EU pupets with no teeth, and even less amount of understanding for us bikers.

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

They are all...........

pocket filling, self serving traitors who are trying to sell us all off into European slavery. They must laugh their heads of at the dopes here who vote for them and I don't blame them. ALL Lib/Lab/Con voters are airheads and can't even see that they're voting for their own destruction. OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

With the DfT

stating that one of its roles is

"▪ enhance access to jobs, services and social networks, including for the most disadvantaged people."

you know we're on to a loser.  Typical bullshit politician-speak. 

Reply to this Topic
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

I don't need to know his name, but I would like to know his address. ;-)

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

It makes a difference.

Of course I care who the Transport Secretary is. Over the years we've had the likes of John Prescott, Geoff Hoon, Alistaire Darling and Stephen Buyers as transport secretaries and they always bring their personal agenda to the job. They are all pro-this and anti-that; Justine Greening was opposed to the third runway at Heathrow and now she's gone in the cabinet reshuffle we've got Patrick McLoughlin as the eighth secretary in eight years. 

Motorcycling matters are never a top priority for governments, so having a someone in the job who is sympathetic to motorcycling can make a huge difference. Let's hope the new man is.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

The hell? What about Mike "the bike" Penning?

Non-career politician, ex army, ex fire and rescue, and paid up member of MAG, he's just been turfed out as Under Secretary and rewarded with the poison chalice of Northern Ireland.

Penning was quitely working away to bring some common bloody sense to bike legislation.  Two fingers up to Jean Claude Brussels with a 48kph (30 Imperial miles per Greenwich hour) minimum in the mod 1, a much more sensible ordering of the test, pressing to sack it off altogether and get back to a single test, and a bare-bones implementation of the 3rd Driving License Directive without any gold plating tosh.  I suspect the Sir Humphreys have done for him.

Why this matters is that there's a whole new slew of biking Directives coming from Brussels, and implementation will be key.  They could be anything from a trivial inconvenience to a major ball ache, entirely depending on how we interpret them, and that depends on *who* interprets them.

I'm very sad to see Penning go while he was just getting his feet under the table.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices