Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Am I safe going to bike meets? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Am I safe going to bike meets?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Am I safe going to bike meets?

I've just passed my test and have been reading lots of motorcycle websites, mostly interested in the bikes I might buy next. I've noticed that a lot of people commenting seem to be very rude, sexist and angry. I was thinking about going to a bike meet, but as a female I'm not sure I'd feel safe. I want to know if...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 September 2012 14:07)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
polhouse

Sep 05

polhouse says:

Like most groups of people there are some a**e holes.  Most of the people you describe seem to mostly exist in cyberspace, and most of the bad stuff is supposed to be banter.  At most of the bike meets I have been to the bikers are friendly to ALL other bikers and the very few who aren't are not worth talking to anyway. 

Reply to this Topic
youngbull1980

Oct 06

Most groups are friendly enough, yes you do get some W@#<@rs but i've generally found them to be all talk.

Reply to this Topic
CaptainHook

Oct 10

CaptainHook says:

Online Groups

I agree with polhouse, alot of those comments seem to come from anonymous online people but not all online groups are like that and in real life most bikers seem pretty friendly.

Having said that, I'd still look for a good online forum because they can provide a wealth of information about everything from mechanics, roadcraft, social aspects of riding and often provide local people to meet up and get to know before hitting the big bike nights/events. I can recommend GBBikers.co.uk as a good general biking forum and there are other good forums out, especially ones aimed at certains bikes or types of biking such as advriders

Reply to this Topic
CaptainHook

Oct 10

CaptainHook says:

advrider.com

doh, don't hit submit until proof reading.

advrider.com

Reply to this Topic
barks12

Sep 12

barks12 says:

There's a club to suit you

Do a bit of searching for clubs in your local area, you'l be surprised at just how many clubs/groups, small and large, there are. The forum I'm part of is full of blokes so there tends to be a fair bit of hard headed banter between us but its all in good fun. Point is that you WILL find a group that suits you, possibly even all female. From there you can go to meets with them so at least you're with people that you're comfortable with.

Reply to this Topic
madshep

May 06

madshep says:

DON'T

Steer clear of bike meets at all costs!

Most of the people there just want to bore you with how high they can wheelie, or how they are so fast on the road etc etc etc

I have been biking since 1977, and have been everywhere on all sorts of bikes, but I NEVER go to bike meets anymore now because of the  loudmouth,over macho types that seem to infest them now!

Reply to this Topic
le10shep

Oct 10

le10shep says:

take your pick

Bike meets are like pubs you get lively kicking meets with burning rubber and wheelies or nice quite ones do some research on your area I am sure you will find one to suit you..

Reply to this Topic
DrWorm

Jul 11

DrWorm says:

Some idiots...

Get enough people in one place and you will always get a minority of idiots.

The meetings I have been to (although I am male) have been pretty laid back, you talk to who you want and if your bike is bling or unique plenty will want to talk to you.  Go to a local one & experience it.  If you don't like it or enjoy it simply hop on your bike and give it the berries!

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

AAAARGH! Run away!!!

Don't do it!! You will almost certainly be torn to pieces and your body parts fed to the rabid dogs owned by these crazed psychopaths!!! Now then, any more stupid questions? I've been riding since 1973 and I've been to every bike meet within easy travelling distance (and others besides) and meet lots of like minded people and have a great time. You meet bikers of every type, be it classical, sports, touring, custom etc etc. If you are into sports bikes, you are not going to talk to Harley riders and so on. Pick someone with a similar ride to yourself and you might learn something because someone asking this question can't be experienced.

Reply to this Topic
le10shep

Oct 10

le10shep says:

pmsl

satnavsteve...love the start to you comment..

'Don't do it!! You will almost certainly be torn to pieces and your body parts fed to the rabid dogs owned by these crazed psychopaths!!! '

Keep writing dude....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices