Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Am I safe going to bike meets? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Am I safe going to bike meets?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Am I safe going to bike meets?

I've just passed my test and have been reading lots of motorcycle websites, mostly interested in the bikes I might buy next. I've noticed that a lot of people commenting seem to be very rude, sexist and angry. I was thinking about going to a bike meet, but as a female I'm not sure I'd feel safe. I want to know if...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 September 2012 14:07)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

AKA Sue Brown???

This has to be Sue Brown, and her 'Bad Lad Motorcyclist' survey!

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

Albeit coming from a male perspective, I've found bike meets to be generally good humoured affairs. Yes there may well be the odd arse hole, but chances are you'll meet some new good friends. Why not see if there are any other local lady riders? http://www.curvyriders.co.uk/ or a similar group might help you feel a lot safer and less self conscious. Most riders I come into contact are perfectly decent & respectful folk. If all else fails trust that feminine intuition! Have fun!

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

satnavsteve

There are many different types of biker. There are those who simply ride a short distance to stand and chat all night, then ride home. I'm not one of 'those'. There are others who ride everywhere, anywhere, in all weathers, just because they can. I'm not one of 'those' either.

I'm a biker who likes bikes, but more importantly, likes to ride my bike. I'll meet up and ride with anyone else who is the same, but I can't be bothered going to a 'meet' where people spend all their time standing around chatting, some drinking(alcohol) then riding home. I'd much rather go to somewhere like Webbs (P/bro), grab a cuppa, chat to bikers who want to ride, decide where i'm going and who with (often i'd rather ride alone and just tag along with someone en-route) and spend the day riding instead of talking about riding.

The BMF and Bulldog are prime examples of gatherings where there are as many non-bikers as there are bikers. I know of 4 people who go to the Bulldog every year, none of them have bikes. And load of people drive in cars to the BMF, park outside, put their leathers on and walk in carrying their helmets. Whats all that about? I just choose to not be a part of all that. I've been riding motorbikes since I was 9, and to this day, i'd rather ride than chat about it.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

Go and find out !

Stop being a wuss and go and talk to people.

The only problem at bike meets is the old bill, they are like a nasty rash. You will find shed loads of marked and unmarked plod bikes and cars anywhere near the big bike meets and plenty of plain clothes snooping round the bike park noting any minor technical problems with your bike. Plus the usual mobile speed cameras and helicopters.

As a rookie I would advise you to ride strictly within the speed limit and make sure your bike is fully legal and also your helmet etc at all times, but especially anywhere near the bike meets.

I got followed all the way to Bassetts Pole by the police helicopter one tuesday night, but I could hear the ****. As I got off my bike in the Macca's car park I looked up, there he was hovering right over me, so I gave him the bird just so that he new that I knew. Wasters.

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

well done Hosbusa

You clearly fulfill the OP's rude and angry criteria. The helicopter pilot wasn't a woman was she?

Reply to this Topic
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

Don't do it !

I recommend you stick to book clubs, chess clubs and crochet classes. But if you do decide to go to one, it'll help to blend in if you take a concealed weapon ( a short length of old motorcycle chain ) and a bag of suspicious looking white powder ( blend a gram of salt and soap powder if you can't get the real thing ). Do you have a denim waistcoat with some blood stains, serious skin problems, a greasy pony tail and a foul mouth ? If so, don't worry, just go. But don't be shocked by the sight of near-neanderthals with their knuckles on the ground, dragging their wimmin by the hair behind them. Just be yourself. Don't forget to buy a t-shirt.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

romford4

I was very calm when I flipped the bird at the police helicopter I`ll have you know. It had followed me for at least 15 miles while I rode like a nun.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Back to the question:

..... As a single female I would think you'd be safer at a bike meet than simply on your own in any other public place. Bikers are ordinary people from all walks of life who share a common interest in motorcycles. In Devon we have meetings on Plymouth Hoe and Paignton sea front and they are brilliant. Bikers mingle with holiday makers and locals, we all enjoy ourselves and at the same time we raise much needed funds for local charities. If you don't get out you'll never meet anyone.

Reply to this Topic
Vortex1952

Mar 11

Vortex1952 says:

AVOID

My sugestion is "AVOID IF YOU CAN"! You will not learn anything productive there, unless you like petrol or grease smell....

Reply to this Topic
rmbridge

May 06

rmbridge says:

I think this forum answers your question by reading the below comments.  People who post online are usually wannabe comedians or maladjusted shut ins with too much time on their hands.  In the outside world you will finder bikers welcoming and friendly, especially to the lesser spotted female variety.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices