Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Am I safe going to bike meets? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Am I safe going to bike meets?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Am I safe going to bike meets?

I've just passed my test and have been reading lots of motorcycle websites, mostly interested in the bikes I might buy next. I've noticed that a lot of people commenting seem to be very rude, sexist and angry. I was thinking about going to a bike meet, but as a female I'm not sure I'd feel safe. I want to know if...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 September 2012 14:07)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Mudddybus!!

Can't understand why you have a bike at all when you have such a dim view of the majority of motorcyclists. After all, if you have a bike, you are one of 'them' whether you like it or not. A lot of bike meets I go to don't even serve alcohol and at the ones that do, most people are drinking tea and coffee. People go to talk to like-minded bikers, look and admire other peoples bikes and swap experiences and information. By alienating yourself from this, you are missing out on one of the best bits of biking, namely the cameraderie (is that spelt right?) that makes biking so pleasurable. And what makes you think you ride more than anyone else if you don't talk to them?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

If you're risk averse, why ride a bike?

Loud nobbers will stand out at any event - that's their purpose in being there.  You don't have to reward them with attention though; find someone else quietly sighing and ask them about their bike, or knitting or kitten or whatever else you might have in common.

Also, you may be confusing "rude, sexist and angry" with "heterosexual male".  I'll respect your uterinal anima if you keep your judgement away from my gonadic essence.  Fair enough?

Reply to this Topic
F0ulOli

Jun 12

F0ulOli says:

angry? me?

Two points have to be made.

Firstly, you are seriously sexist in your attitude. You are implying that as a female, you are at risk - what nonsense.  Bikers are well known for being homosexual, and bike meets are popular crusing hangouts!

OK, I might be making that last bit up, but rather than wind up everyone on a forum, why not just visit one and make up your own mind?  I don't like them much because you tend to find that a lot of the people there are more into talking about bikes than actually riding them. But I'm a bloke, and am unlikely to enjoy the same things as you.

My wife rides her bike to them and often finds that she can't stand the places either, but likes looking at the bikes. There are often far too many goldwing and BMW couples there with matching textiles.  Not her scene either, but maybe you might like them!

Best of luck!

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

You'll

Be safer at a bike meet than p0ractially anywhere you could think of. There is zero trouble. My son's mentally disabled, he's scared when out due to people making/shouting comments when he's with his daycentre staff on outings with others from the centre, yet take him to a bike meet, and he feels safe enough to walk about alone with his camera taking pictures of the bikes, whilst bikers in general encourage him to come take pics of their pride and joys.

Comments on websites bear no relation to how people behave in real life.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

For me, personally, meets got boring a long time ago. I still love riding more than standing round in muddy car parks listening to weekend heroes talking waffle. Don't get me wrong, I'm not antisocial, I'll talk bikes with anyone who wants to, but don't go out of my way to go to meets just to feel included. I ride my bikes to be alone with my thoughts and keep myself sane.

Selfish? Perhaps, but let's face it, riding is a failry selfish act, no?

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Bike clubs

I'm in a bike club myself. We arent all like the blue angels , most bike clubs hate being associated with clubs like that because they don't put them in a good light. My bike club is Fool On, generally we just go on runs every weekend and longer runs during summer (we went to ullapool earlier in the year) and the guys have a drink down the pub on wednesdays. Most clubs will be like that nowadays , weekly runs with a pub meet now and again. Honestly , you wont know what its like till you go down and see your local. Maybe they are crap , maybe theyll be the best folk youll ever meet!

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Go, but don't stay all day...

Often I stop off at Rykers (Box Hill) on the way out or back for a pee / cuppa. Seems strange that there always seems to be a small group there, the same people, whatever time i drop in.

Generally find most people there chatty, but never there more than 15 mins. Get out and ride the damn thing.

Some at bike meets are 'all the gear, no idea' unfortunately. Latest sports bikes, 1 bhp more than last years model, speed humps, etc, but occassionally someone turns up on a Fizze, or something old and worth looking at.

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

Go Along

Look at the comments on almost any website and they're rude, sexist and angry. Fortunately the people who write them either have alter egos or never leave the house, otherwise the whole country would feel like the last days of rome, all the time. Bikers, like any group of people, are generally decent folk, a few are idiots, but at a bike meet everyone shares a common interest so there is normally a nice social vibe. Meets vary, so go along to one, have a look round, chat to a few people, and if you don't like what you see ride away and try another meet another day. Some cater more to the HD/cruiser crowd, some to wannabe GP heroes, most are just a bunch of people who like to ride bikes getting together for a bit of banter. You'll find one that you enjoy.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

I agree with some of the other comments about bike meets being boring. I rarely hang around a bike meet for longer than 1/2 an hour and then go for a blast and enjoy the evening riding. Most pubs seem to hike the prices for soft drinks and then provide outside catering which is always a  greasy burger van. The bike meets have got boring, OK if you like standing around chatting.

The Falcon Inn at Hatton/Warwick was a blast ! As was the Royal Oak at Hockley Heath ! Two of the best and very sadly missed bike meets EVER. Gone but never forgotten.

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Internet v real life

The people on the MCN forum are what's known as "keyboard warriors" Tough, unflinching and macho when sat behind a keyboard. In real life they're just regular joes that wouldn't dare act the way the do on the forums because they know its unacceptable. Anonymity is the only reason they're "very rude, sexist and angry"

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle