You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Bought as seen

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Foby

Aug 12

Foby says:

Bought as seen

Is there any legal comeback with seller if sign for "Bought as seen" as I bought a bike that seized second time out?:upset:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 September 2012 20:21)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

well depends on how it sized. as the last owner my not of have any idea it was going to go boom. what bike is it ?

as you my need to fit a new motor or sell for scrap.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Sold as seen

Comeback in a private seller on a 'sold as seen' basis is difficult.  But it will depend on the circumstances.  If the bike was sold for spares or repairs for £50 you have no chance.  If you paid five grand for a bike in good working condition that's a different matter.  What did the ad say??  (Remeber, in either case the seller has to be straight with you and answer any qustions you asked honestly - so if he has lied you have a case)  But, it is unlikely that the seller will come to a settlement with you volunatrily so you will need to be prepared to go to litigation. 

I guess it all depends on how much money you have tied up in the machine and what lengths you are prepared to go to.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

"Sold as seen"

is usually a seller trying to sneak away from taking responsibility.

Some more info would be useful: when did you buy it, was it trade or private sale, what price did you pay (if it was significantly below average you're probably shafted)?

The other key point is that a seller doesn't need to inform you of the bad points - unless YOU ask him (in which case, he has to be honest).

Reply to this Topic
Foby

Aug 12

Foby says:

Bought as seen

The bike a Triumph Thunderbird 900 was advertised as near perfect as can be found with fsh and advertised privately for £3500 and the owner seemed genuine. I bought the bike a couple of months ago. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Sold as Seen

I don't wish to appear without sympathy for your circumstaces but, looking back, this is the second Triumph of that type you have purchased with problems.  And one of those was supposed to have had a re-con engine.  I am not aware of any specific issues with this model but perhaps its time to try something different.  Also, next time you purchase a bike I would recommend taking someone knowlegeable  with you or buy from a dealer in order that you have some kind of warranty / comeback in the event of a problem.    

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices