Skip to content

Ask an Expert Roads safe for women? Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Roads safe for women?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MoonlitWolf

Sep 12

MoonlitWolf says:

Roads safe for women?

Hi everyone :)

I've had a CBT for one and a half years, and I'm currently doing (failing) my mod 1 having done training with a riding school near me. I've just upgraded from my scooter to a 125cc geared bike at the recommendation of the school because I wasn't picking up the gears well through the training.

Having bought this new, beautiful bike which I've become very attached to (<3) I love her to bits and want to take her to uni with me. Its a 169 mile commute, which I know is a very very long distance for a 125cc!! I'm planning to take at least 2 days to do it, and make lots of stop offs to give engine rests. I'm planning that it will take up to 10 or more hours and I'm accepting that it'll take as long as it takes. I've taken her out for a 70 mile ride around the roads near my house and she coped ok. I've got breakdown insurance if I need it but she's pretty much a new bike and been well cared for in her 5 years. I've not had any problems with her so far. The commute is one I'm excited about. Or was :S

My problem isn't with the commute so much as an issue my instructor raised. He told me I should just van it up there because its not safe for a 19 year old female to be riding that distance alone. Is there any merit to this comment? Part of me is highly indignant at this comment But its knocked my confidence and upset me a little bit and given me a fear I didn't previously have. Do you think I should just have it vanned up :s?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 September 2012 22:57)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MoonlitWolf

Sep 12

MoonlitWolf says:

:)

Thank you! Looking forward to journey.

Its embarassing dropping it isn't it?? 

Hope that the clutch lever is easily replaced, glad the rest of the  bike was ok!

Reply to this Topic
Ridelimousin

Oct 12

Ridelimousin says:

Hi

I don't think you'll have any problems, just relax and take your time!

Reply to this Topic
sarahm919

Apr 12

sarahm919 says:

Single women riding bikes

Glad to hear you were ok when you dropped the bike, at least you now know you can pick it back up if needed.
As for riding around the UK, I've never had any problems, and as someone else has mentioned, once you have all your gear on no one knows what sex you are.  If you have long hair tuck it inside your jacket, from experience it will either get soaked if raining and/or so blown about it that it takes ages to sort out and de-tangle it (from experience).
Just follow all the usual 'rules' about lonely places at night etc.  I broke down in Scotland late one night and had absolutely no problems, the AA respond quicker as it is a safety issue for lone females.
Find a good route and enjoy the ride, a modern 125 will easily do this journey if it is well looked after/serviced regularly etc..

Reply to this Topic
masterofpuppets

May 12

confidence

you could do the trip in a day sweetheart just plan it out and your fuel stops and go on google if you don't know your way very good buy a tank bag with a good map holder, the more you go there and back the more you'll get used to riding the roads and get quicker every time, don't let anybody knock your confidence and ride in your own zone and you'll be fine 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle