Skip to content

Ask an Expert Ideas for restriction period bikes! Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Ideas for restriction period bikes!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

SadPanda1993

Sep 12

SadPanda1993 says:

Ideas for restriction period bikes!

Right i am aware this has been done before but i really need help!

Got the end in sight and i hope to pass my bike test before new riders get shafted by the new laws coming in (jan 2013)

so the big queastion is how do i make th most of my restriction period? i want to enjoy not just be waiting for 2 years. first off do i want a 250cc with the entire power band open to me? or a nice big bike which will restrict well. all i have seen theat looks like a good choice are: Honda CB 400 SF (restricted) kawasaki GPZ 500 (restricted) or a kawasaki ninja 250r.up to spending at absalute max 2.5K and insurance is an issue as its expennsive at my age. would like something economical. fun for riding round sharp turns in the country side and relatively easy to maintain.

all ideas are welcome :smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (05 September 2012 12:40)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Restricted bikes

Hi and welcome.

Yes, you are right, it has been the subject of a lot of threads and there is a lot of useful info on this subject here already.

Check back over those to save my fingers from repeating themselves :smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Try

an old Kawasaki ER5 - cheap as chips to buy (you'll need to see about insurance), and should restrict quite well.

As a general rule, twin cylinder bikes tend to restrict better than multi cylinder bikes; on a twin, you'll lose top end (it'll top out at 100 instead of 140mph), 4-cylinders tend to be "strangled" through the rev range.

ER5, ER6, SV650, GS500 or CB500 - any of those will be a good bet.

Reply to this Topic
nicktaylor7

Sep 12

nicktaylor7 says:

restricted bikes

have you considered a fazer 600? I have a MK 1 fazer restricted to 33bhp. I looked around a lot and did my research for making my decision; I decided against a 250 as they felt exactly the same size-wise as a 125. i decided against a cb500 or similar commuter bike as i wanted something a little more exciting!! I had a good look at hornet 600's, SV650, Bandit 600, but decided on a fazer 600. To start with i liked the styling (i know:unsure: ) my friend had a sv650 angular model so i had sit on it and thought it was too uncomfy. didnt like the look of a bandit which seemed a little heavy and bland, and the hornet was renouned for a naff tank range and the exhaust wasnt in a very practical place. the fazer is comfy, fast! dont listen to inline 4's restricting badly, it still screams:wink:, practical, good tank range, riding like a nun it took me to cadwell park (100-120miles) on a quarter of a tank! good for pillions, awesome brakes, sounds good with a race can too! now... bad points... handling isnt the the best, the headlights can be weak compared to other bikes, and.... ummm. well il post some more when i can think of them! all in all, a good bike, well worth a look :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
SadPanda1993

Sep 12

SadPanda1993 says:

cheers

thanks nicktaylor7!

been looking at the fazers in fact. can bit confused by the different models. whats the one with the two exhuasts inline and are above the number plate? looks incredible!

also another quaeastion is whats the logic behind restricting different engine sizes? with my limited bike knowedge it seems to me that if i were to restrict say a 400 i wuld have more of the natural power band than compared to a restricted 600. so it seems restricting a smaller engine bike means more of the actual power. please feel free to point out the holes in my very novice idea.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

The Fazer

you're thinking about with the underseat exhaust is the FZ6 Fazer, manufactured from 2004 onwards. Indeed, I've got one on a '58 plate in black, and it's a top-notch bike.

As for restriction of different types of bike (there's the 33bhp restriction, but also a power-to-weight ratio restriction too), and some machines are naturally easier to restrict regardless of capacity - twin-cylinder bikes (even at 600 / 650cc) will generally have similar low-to-mid range power (which is where you'll spend most of your time anyway) whether restricted or not; with a twin, the expense is mostly at the top end. Think Kawasaki ER5 / 6, Honda CB500 and Suzuki's GS500.

With a four-cylinder (including the Fazers), the restriction tends to be more pronounced; put a restricted and unrestricted bike side by side and you'll notice the performance difference.

Bear in mind the power-to-weight limit (0.16kW/kg IIRC), can't remember the weight it needs to be (156kg rings a bell, I stand corrected if anyone knows better) - though most bikes will weigh more than this anyway.

Reply to this Topic
SadPanda1993

Sep 12

SadPanda1993 says:

cheers

Thanks AdieR!

thats helpful to know the year the fazer changed. i'll look out for the newer version.

so i guess my real queastion i what will i ahve the most fun on? i got into biking not because i need to commute or anything like that. i did cos its bloody great fun. so whats going to put a dirty great grin on my face? an unrestricted 250? 400/500 twin or a great big 600 4 cylinder?

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

SadPanda1993

Don't know if you're still interested in the Fazer, but there's a 2004 FZ6 for sale on the foc-u.co.uk site (look under "for sale & wanted section), £1795 with 19k miles.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Insurance

Isn't gonna be kind to you, so the ninja will probably be out of the question - under 2.5k

Why not buy my 33BHP bandit 600?

Saves the hassle of finding a 600 for the right price and restricting it.

Plus I want to sell it quickly so I'll let you have it for a really good price.

Reply to this Topic
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

Fazer

If you're thinking of restricting a Fazer the older FZS600 is the better bet. It produces it's power lower down the revs meaning the restriction is less noticeable. You could also consider a 600 Monster. Just restricted one for my girlfriend and it made almost no difference at all!

Reply to this Topic
SadPanda1993

Sep 12

SadPanda1993 says:

still looking

thanks for the replys chaps.

i have my test next week so getting excited about that!!

looking at insurance quates it all seems to be pretty unkind so i guess i cant really affect my decision. maybe get third party only and spend the difference on an imobiliser or something.

i think its between the fazer or the hornet (not a fan of bandits, sorry) anyone have any expereince with both? seem good fun both restricted and unrestricted

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices