Skip to content

Ask an Expert Thicker grips? Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Thicker grips?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Thicker grips?

Riding home tonight I was aware of a slight twinge in my throttle hand (nothing major) which set me wondering about my grip. Can you get thicker handlebar grips (proper ones, not foam add-ons) and has anyone tried them?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (05 September 2012 20:28)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Grips

Oxford heated grips are a little thicker and not foam.
Are you holding on too tight? Are your wheels balanced properly??

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Grips.

Hi eatscs01,

This is on the R1, not the ZX6. I tend to over-analyse things but I even wondered if the clip-ons were angled too far back. It feels like I was gripping (not tightly) almost entirely with the bit between thumb and forefinger and I wondered if the palm of the hand should be more involved (Christ, this is ripe for double-entendres and piss-takes). On the other hand I brake with four fingers and sometimes blip the throttle like that so I must be "palming" it.

Anyway, in the interests of having a bike-related thread, does anyone have any experience of thicker handlebar grips? I recall seeing pictures of track bikes with grey-coloured grips from a manufacturer whose name I can't remember. What's the benefit there?

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

handlebar grips

The different coloured grips refer to the differing "firmness" of the rubber they are made from. Renthal is the make  :smiley:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As daft

as it may sound, but it isn't a glove issue?

I sometimes get discomfort and soreness using one particular pair of RST gloves which I don't get with my Ixon ones (or indeed, my other RST's.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Grips

After changing the tyres on my GS, I found the wheels are now WAY out of balance. On a recent 360 mile round trip I found my right hand going numb at approx 85mph.
This never happened before when the wheels were balanced. Might be worth getting them checked (or checking them yourself).

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Thanks all

Wheel balance? I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks Eatcs01, I'll look into it.

Adie, gloves are a possibility too. I only have one pair in regular use, they're very old Alpinestars GP Plus. They were a bit narrow when I first got them and either they've eased a bit or I've just been ignoring it.

Renthal! Cheers Fogie.

I didn't get the twinge tonight but it might even have been a result of too much computer mouse use yesterday, who knows.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

I know you didn't want foam add ons

but I've found them to be really good. I've had the same set of Grip Puppies on two different bikes. Lovely and chunky and heated grips still work perectly with them. Three years use and they've not gone brittle or loosened or split. I thought they were a cheap and efficiant fix.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Grip Puppies.

Beelady, I'd never heard of Grip Puppies but I've now seen several good reviews. Cheap enough to try out, maybe.

Thanks, all. Lots of possibilities to look into.

You're a helpful lot!

:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices