Skip to content

Discuss This Bike test doubts after reshuffle General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bike test doubts after reshuffle

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bike test doubts after reshuffle

Plans to improve the motorcycle test could stall following the government reshuffle, the British Motorcyclists Federation has warned. Former Roads Minister Mike Penning was the architect of plans to scrap an off-road part of the test in which hundreds of learners have crashed attempting manoeuvres including a swerve. Penning, a former biker, announced a review in MCN aimed at creating a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 September 2012 09:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Handling

Taking into consideration the unrestricted power, available to direct access riders. And having had a sneaky run through the swerve test, I have to say: To come off at 32mph or fail to gain the (then) 32mph min speed, for me, would show a worrying lack of control. If more training or experience is required, then so be it. I therefore agree with it. Sorry to sound like a spoil sport!

Reply to this Topic
lee696

Sep 12

lee696 says:

Test

Having passed my direct access last December on a Ducati monster I can honestly say that if anyone crashes on the swerve or can't get up to speed for it and the emergency stop then they shouldn't be riding a bike. As to not using anything on the off road part of the test having ridden since 1974, what never emergency braked, had to swerve round an obsticle, ride slowly in traffic feet up, or u turned? Don't see the need for a change myself.

Reply to this Topic
sar02

Aug 10

sar02 says:

when i took my test the speed was 30 mph, you were expected to keep your eyes open for the tester who could jump out anywhere on the run for an emergency stop, try keeping your bike at 32mph , remember you are supposed to be watching the road with only occasional glances at the speedo, this is why the new test is dangerous for other road users, it expects you to watch your speed rather than the road.

Reply to this Topic
lee696

Sep 12

lee696 says:

Test

There is no on road manoeuvre tests so there is no danger to other users and it is a minimum speed not a steady speed that needs to be a achieved so no speedo staring is required

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

the speed limt is 30mph on the road so if you go 32 or 34 then you be speeding and fail your test.

i had to keep my bike at 30 in a 30 and 40 in a 40 and as close to 60 as the bike will go.

the swerve my be easy on a 500 with more power but a 125cc my not be a fast and harder to get up to speed.

Reply to this Topic
CaNsA

Jul 09

CaNsA says:

@ DOCTIRED

Never had to swerve round a pothole or some slippery looking stuff on the road?

You probably swerve round something every time you go for a ride, you just dont realise it.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Stupid

Seems just as stupid as most of the US where you cannot ride solo on a learner’s permit unless a licensed motorcyclist is following you – a whole lot of good that will do, especially since radio communication is not required. And of course, it is biased against new riders that do not have someone readily available to faff around after them. So what many do is practice the MOST (or ALMOST) test, rent a twist-and-go scooter for the test, and then take their first street ride solo on a motorcycle they have never ridden before. Just goes to prove that politicians everywhere are clueless arses. The only good point is that the test can be waived for taking a MSF BRC class, which at least starts people off without the worst habits.

And of course the cagers here also have less qualifications required, despite their deadliness to others.

Reply to this Topic
morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

the swerve test isnt bad

having passed my bike test last year (mod 1+2) i dont think the swerve test is as dangerous as people think, there was alot of "hype" about it being dangerous and untill i tried one in practice i was really nervous about doing it, i soon realised its really nothing its the same as swerving around a manhole/drain cover in the road, the speed is stupid though 32mph?

I think the test should be one part but a bit longer, i think you start off road so u can safely do your u turn emergancy stop, turn left, turn right etc just to clarify your safe to go on the road and once youve completed that all safely you go out for 40 mins an do the on road part

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices