Ask an Expert Hein Gericke - your views Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Hein Gericke - your views

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

blokeinlondon

May 10

Hein Gericke - your views

First off I have to say that I, like many here I suspect, are upset that Hein Gericke are going through the troubles they are. Hopefully someone will save them and bail them out.. Its looking promising but I am not close enough to this to know it will complete.

So my question is.. I bought a jacket from them recently. It was discounted and I know that they are closing down, or changing hands. Either way it will effect my g'tee.

At point of paying I was told that the jacket was covered by the HG 2 year g'tee. I questioned this at the time and was told that not to worry even if we are not around the goretex is covered by a 5 year g'tee.. I thought about this on the way home. Only because they had offered the information.

I emailed their CS team and asked them. They came back with the same; "Its covered by a 2 year HG g'tee and 5 years with Goretex.

Since then I have gone back to them three times now asking them to outline the process.I dont expect to have a problem with the jacket as I know a number of bikers that have HG goretex and they all rate them..But I would like to know what I do if I have issues, who do I call and what do I do? Its a reasonable request.

They seem to be ignoring me at the moment. I have asked them again tonight so we will see what they do but if they are telling people that their products still have a g'tee then I think that they should also tell them how to activate any g'tee claim in detail.

Once again I state that I am a big fan of HG.. I rate the stores and most of the staff. Its a shame to see them go and a shame that I am having to pull this information from them without it being willingly given.

What say you?

:-)

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 September 2012 18:52)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Sad to see them go, yes.

How can they answer you until their business affairs are settled though? They don't know who the new owners will be, whether they'll buy the entire business as it stands or just a segment, nor whether that will lead to a committment to honouring the old HG 2-year guarantee. Have to wait and see, I guess. If the jacket broke tomorrow you'd take it back to the shop. Keep the receipt!

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

HG

To be fair they probably have more pressing questions to deal with at present. And you did make the purchase knowing that they were under the administators and could close.  No doubt you were happy to accept the considerable discount on the jacket - you paid your money and made your choice knowing their situation so it's a little unfair to hassle them now about warranty issues that haven't even arisen.    

The good thing is that this only impacts on HG UK - the parent company is not affected and I am sure that, in the event of any problems, you would be able to return it to their EU HQ who would address any warranty issues.

Having said that, their kit is usually of excellent quality (I have some myself and we purchased a few bits for my girlfriend in the sale) so I doubt that you are going to have any problems. 

I sincerely hope that they manage to find a buyer and survive in the UK.  Or, if not, that another retailler will stock the brand so it is still available here.  The guys at HG are decent chaps and I would hate to see them out of a job.  Fortunately for me, I travel to Europe every month on business so I can visit one of their European stores if the kit is no longer available in the UK.     

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

guarentee

2 years by law, its not a HG guarantee at all, they're just pretending to give you a better service.

If you don't want the jacket sell it or try and take it back, if not stop moaning if there's nothing wrong with it.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Law

You talking about EU law? Apparently we somehow opted out of that one and it's still a year in the UK.

Not sure how it works as we have had to apply every other EU directive.

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

nope

2008 sales of goods act and 1979 consumer rights act (amended)

Doesn't apply if the products are cheap or disposable.

If the item is in a sale because of its condition then it also doesnt apply.

Closing down sales don't count.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Pretty sure

those are one year, whereas EC/1997/44 states two.

Regardless, retailers are responsible for products sold by them for about 6 years I think. If it should be expected to last 5 years and it doesn't they're still responsible.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices