Skip to content

Ask an Expert Missing gears on downshifting Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Missing gears on downshifting

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jasontdp

Sep 12

jasontdp says:

Missing gears on downshifting

Hi guys

When approaching a 1st gear corner, I'm in 3rd gear rushing down the straight with the corner ahead of me.

I find I can improve my time if I keep in 3rd and keep accelerating for as long as possible. Shortly before the corner, I'll brake and simultaneously blip and downshift 2 gears basically missing 2nd gear all together. I don't have a slipper so it gets a little jumpy at the back but I can reduce that with a little bit more practice.

Is this good practice or should I be downshifting from 3rd into 2nd and then into 1st sequentially? I'm pretty sure staying in 3rd and missing 2nd on the downshift down to 1st gear improves the time as your on the gas for longer on the straight but wanted to check in with those "in the know".

Thanks again

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 September 2012 09:51)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Downchange

It all depends on how long you want your gearbox to last.  If you don't mind wrecking it carry on as you are.  If you want it to last you'll go through second and be almost at a standstill before selecting first.  Racers will ride as you described but for them speed is the only consideration and the successful ones have others paying for / repairing their bikes.   

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Is this on the road

or track?

I think the only time I drop into first on the road is if I'm approaching a junction/roundabout/stationary traffic/traffic light where I may need to stop.

Reply to this Topic
jasontdp

Sep 12

jasontdp says:

Either

Hi mate

This is for either but if I had to pick one - track.

You could rephrase my question to ask about 3rd-1st or 4th-2th or similar if you know what I mean?

I'm less concerned about which gear, more wanted to know whether skipping a gear is acceptable.

Thanks for the responses

Reply to this Topic
Ride4Fun

Apr 05

Ride4Fun says:

Block Changing

Doesn't seem anything wrong with what you're doing;  it's called block changing, and won't damage the gearbox at all if done correctly.  Just make sure you get the revs right for a smooth gear engagement, and that will also prevent the jumping about you described.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

What bike,

slipper clutch?.......beware not to go in too hot and lock

that rear up.:blink:

Reply to this Topic
jasontdp

Sep 12

jasontdp says:

Thanks

Thanks for the advice chaps.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

gear changing

First gear is really there to allow you to get a clean getaway especially up a slope, with quite a low ratio. Once you are on the go you shouldn't really need to use first, as all but the most peaky of engines will pull 2nd right down at walking pace and a bit of clutch slip control is better than a jarring change down through neutral to first IMHO.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

Cogless

must be a hello of a corner its a first cog! jump on the zzr 11 and hardly ever have to knock it down 2..just pulls in 4/5/6

As earlier posts, i personally wouldnt knock it all the way back down..unless u r hammering at cadwell?

Reply to this Topic
Ride4Fun

Apr 05

Ride4Fun says:

1st Gear

Having to go down to first gear is dependent upon both the torque available from the engine, and how tall the gears are.  On my ZX-6R, second is usually low enough, except when going at walking pace, however, the RSV1000 labours below 25mph, as it's as tall as second on the Kwak.  You need to understand the bike you're riding and use the gears accordingly.  :smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
CharlieSYLO

Mar 11

CharlieSYLO says:

Jebus

I'd hate to be your gearbox. Basically what Marcus and Dabbsy said, only use 1st gear when moving from stationary, otherwise down change into 2nd.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle