Skip to content

Ask an Expert Missing gears on downshifting Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Missing gears on downshifting

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jasontdp

Sep 12

jasontdp says:

Missing gears on downshifting

Hi guys

When approaching a 1st gear corner, I'm in 3rd gear rushing down the straight with the corner ahead of me.

I find I can improve my time if I keep in 3rd and keep accelerating for as long as possible. Shortly before the corner, I'll brake and simultaneously blip and downshift 2 gears basically missing 2nd gear all together. I don't have a slipper so it gets a little jumpy at the back but I can reduce that with a little bit more practice.

Is this good practice or should I be downshifting from 3rd into 2nd and then into 1st sequentially? I'm pretty sure staying in 3rd and missing 2nd on the downshift down to 1st gear improves the time as your on the gas for longer on the straight but wanted to check in with those "in the know".

Thanks again

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 September 2012 09:51)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

On road or track

(and it sounds like you are talking about track work cuz on the road there is no need to keep it pinned and shift like that for a better time..) so I'll base my answer around track riding..

There are corners on tracks in the uk that require 1st gear, Shaws hairpin at Mallory for example. There you (or at least I) will be shifting from 4th down to 1st. On my gsxr600, I will go down a gear at a time, blipping the throttle and letting the clutch out each time. This also helps with braking as it give you a more controlled feel and you can use engine braking to your advantage too..
In your scenario, 3rd to 1st, you say you hold 3rd for as long as possible, so maybe doing 12-13-14000 revs?.. Then drop it to 1st and dump the clutch!! IF your tyre was able to grip at that speed it would spin your engine up to probably 18-19000 revs so not only are you putting your gearbox at risk, your engine, valves especially, are being put under immense strain! WELL over the red line of your engine!
The fact your back tyre is bouncing and skipping all over the place should be seen as a warning!
You may FEEL faster like that but I'm willing to bet smoothing out your style would improve your lap times overall! 

Most track days offer free instruction. Talk to them, they are a friendly (if sometimes a bit crackers) lot and they will lead/follow you round track and give good help..

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

sounds like good advice

especially the indepth one from stealth. You don't show on your profile what bikes etc.

I suppose it depends what your riding,

I can't think of any where on the road where I'd go in hard in 3rd on a corner and want to change down, at that pace on the road and you've misjudged and run wide you would need to keep on the gas to keep the bike stable and let it ride through the bend and not change at all.

Maybe I'm wrong, usually am:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices