Skip to content

Ask an Expert stolen- recovered but write off Q Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > stolen- recovered but write off Q

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

stolen- recovered but write off Q

So if your bike is stolen and recovered but is a write off does your 3rd Party Fire&Theft insurance cough up?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 September 2012 20:50)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Theft

is theft (and fire),if a write off the ins will have to cough up providing it was all legal and probably kept secured in a brick built garage.  

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

It'll depend

on the exact merits of each case.

A write-off isn't necessarily badly damaged - its simply that the cost of repair (parts / labour / VAT) outweighs the cost of changing the bike. You may be able to get the bike back, and repair it yourself.

For an older / lower value bike, it might not need much to be considered written off.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

my r100gs was fpft and was stolen off my mates drive and i had locked it up.  it got recoverd and was a cat c as it was to costly to fix.
i got the bike back with a fixed priced.  then just had to fix the starter key and got it mot,ed and its still on the road 3years later 
if you wont your bike back go and see the bike 1st and see the damage 1st hand. as it my just be broken locks and not much other damage

Reply to this Topic
tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

ok

My mate will be happy - left his immaculate ZZR parked for 5mins and some scroats pushed it off. Couldn't start it but pushed it up and down, repeatedly dropping it on both sides, so all plastics inc. tail piece, engine both sides, bars, levers, can etc. all completely trashed. Gutted when he got it back as he expects the insurance doesn't cover it. Definitely written off so I reckon they will pay out. How much though, is a different story.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

make sure he reads the small print. ie needs to be locked if parked at home ect 

Reply to this Topic
tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

. .

Sure they'll wriggle out if poss, but it wasn't at home it was parked temporarily on a street. They're still covered when not garaged at home I'm sure.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Don't know

the age of it, some parts will be available from breakers.

As for wouldn't start, tip-over switch? Or possibly damaged sidestand or neutral switch after being decked?

Reply to this Topic
tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

WTF

It was the scroats who couldn't start it and smashed it up, not my mate!

Sheesh.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices