You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > New Rider

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Chris1Smith

Sep 12

Chris1Smith says:

New Rider

I have just passed my CBT and am in the process of doing the Direct access course....Do you recommend this or better on a 125cc for a while?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 September 2012 19:07)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Your choice really

You'll probably pass your test quicker on a DAS course, but you'll learn more about riding if you spend 2000 miles on a 125cc.

You can't cram 6 months of experience into 2/3/4 days, but you can point out how to ride to pass the test.:huh:

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

agree with tc

I'm not a particular fan of DAS either, 125 route to learn road craft on 2 wheels is far better.

Congrats on CBT

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

125 or DAS

You don't mention your age or any other road experience that may have (Car driver?)  If you are already a regular road-user in/on another vehicle type then DAS should not be too problematic.  If you are a complete novice then maybe a 125 might be the way to go if you lack experience and or confidence. 

Reply to this Topic
smortimer77

Jul 12

smortimer77 says:

Don't rush...

Don't be in too much of a rush to get on a bigger bike if you are not confident, get some miles on a 125 first then do an A2, OK so it will be restricted for 2 years but at least you will gradually get use to the power and by the time the restriction comes off you can ride anything. You will have the road sense and skills to match what you have learnt.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Bike Size

won't make a difference to the speed you pass your test, it's the same requirements whatever size bike you take it on. Also there's no point postponing taking the test in order to gain extra experience on a 125, come January you'll need to be over 24 to do DAS which you may already be but, the test fees are going to go up (not said by DSA yet but mark my words it's gonna happen!) and there's still confusion over the size/power of the bike(s) you'll need to take the test on too! This is Typical of the DSA (They're utterly Incompetent!) and believe me there'll be more to come yet...

As has been alluded to there's no substitute for experience. Personally I don't think the size of the bike is the issue, you're gaining experience/knowledege whatever you ride. What Does make the difference is the riders attitude & awareness, it's why you can't do the DAS until you're 21 (24 next year) the theory is you'll have some road knowledge by this time.

If you're feeling comfortable riding the DAS bike stick with it, take your time making sure you keep everything relaxed & smoooth and you shouldn't have a poblem.

Happy Riding:smile

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

DAS vs 2 years on a 125

If you go for the 125cc for a while, just remember that it's very easy to pick up bad habits, and very hard to lose them when you come to do your tests two years down the line.

Personally I'd recommend the DAS as it means you get taught properly from the off how to ride a powerful bike. You don't have to cram it in to a couple of days either, I've done mine over a period of 2 months.

But as others have said, it's really up to you! If you feel confident, go for the DAS. If you think you might want some road experience (i.e. you don't drive) then spend 2 years on a 125cc. Either way, ride safe ;-)

Reply to this Topic
asankhy

Sep 12

asankhy says:

hi

i think this is a good idea,,,actually my brother has done the same thing,,,with 125cc,,,,,,,,so i wish u all the best,,,,,,
dainik bhasker

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ravonrazor

Sep 12

ravonrazor says:

125 and das worked for me.

I started out passing my cbt 7 months to the day, the following weekend i brought myself a 125cc to learn and practice handling a bike before moving on to the DAS. I only left it about 6 weeks between my cbt and first DAS lesson but in that time my confidence was greatly improved by travelling to work daily on my bike, and on the plus side any bad habits I had picked up in that time were not so drilled in my mind that I couldn't easily rectify them.

So after 7 months and 1500 miles on my bike I passed my mod 2 yesterday with only 1 minor.

I am quite pleased with myself as you can imagain and will soon be moving up from my 125cc to 500cc get even more miles before thinking about anything to powerful. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle