You are in... Forums > General > General > Chain splitters

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Andyh25

Mar 09

Andyh25 says:

Chain splitters

I just bought a wee Yam Thundercat which seems to be feeling a touch neglected by its previous owner. The chain has very slight surface rust on it so I considered taking it off for a good scrub and lube as it and the sprockets are still in overall good nick. As ive never done this before, is it easy enough? I was going to buy a wee chain splitter to do the job. Thanks, Andy

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 September 2012 19:21)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

NO.

Unless you want to spend alot on a decent pro chain-splitter, don`t do it. The cheap ones (under say...£100)? are rubbish. Clean it up with WD40 or similar and re=do with chain lube. 

If you must remove the chain, use an angle grinder to take off the peaned over rivets on the rivet link and hoke the link through with an old screwdriver.

To fit a new rivet link, you can squeeze the new end plate on the new rivet link with two mole grips, then after drilling out the holes on an old end plate to larger than the chain pins, get a fresh grip and squeeze on fully after using the modified plate to expose the rivets.
Get a lump hammer on the back to take the shocks and pean over the rivets. Job Done.

If you can understand all this, you`re a better man than me. If you can`t pm me and I`ll try and do a diagram.

Colin.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

Forgot to say...

splitting the chain isn`t the problem. Its the fitting of the new rivet link.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Chain split and rivet.

Do you need to take it off to do that?

I asked a question about chain rivetters on here a while back but I still haven't got the nerve to do the job myself.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I wouldn't

bother taking the chain off for surface rust if its in generally good condition otherwise (ie tensioned properly, no tight spots etc).

Just nick the wife's pan scourers or some steel wool or a small wire brush, clean it, and re-lube it.

Don't know what chain you have, but the chain on mine is "endless" (ie there's no split link) and removal / refitting of the chain involves removing the swing-arm.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

rust

Chain roller surface rust is easy come (rain) and easy go when lubed,both side plates can be greased to keep water off.

Reply to this Topic
Andyh25

Mar 09

Andyh25 says:

ta

cheers chaps. I don't think I will tackle it. I shall just be giving it a good seeing to with the wire wool, chain cleaner and lube

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Just for the record...

I have NEVER seen a chain so fucked as the one on my gixxer at the moment...... It's BAAAAD!!!

Really BAD.. I should be embarassed.. it grinds and bangs and doesn't stay a regular length ever... Only another few weeks til I can afford to replace it....

:wink:

Reply to this Topic
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

Also just for the record..

you can tell alot about a bike, its history and its owner by looking at the chain.....no offence there Flyer! Just generalising!:smile

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Andyh25....

...............:biggrin:. you don't have to fit the large reservoir(touring kit),but it does save a lot of fiddling about.

chain luber.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

chain etc

my bandit has a scotoiler fitted (guy fitted it before me) he has averaged 200 miles a year on it since 2005! had to take side panels off and checked it all out, topped it up while i was at it..be getting one for the zzr11 soon..done the zzr chain, i used a splitter and it was about 40 quid.  not hard to do, try doing rear anti roll bar links on a  volvo v70!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices