Skip to content

General 38,000 mile a year commuting Pub Talk - over 18s only

You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > 38,000 mile a year commuting

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Shrekonabike

Sep 12

Shrekonabike says:

38,000 mile a year commuting

Hi all, may have a new job that will mean 160 mile round trip commute per day via a mix of Hampshire A roads and dual carriageway/motorway. 

All my previous bikes were great but not that economic to run 4-6k service intervals, rear tyres every 5k, fronts every 6-7k.  That was manageable when I was only doing 10 - 12k miles per year but I fear I may well have to resort to 4 wheels in order to keep the costs down given that the 3,500 miles per month would translate to between 6 & 9 services each year with 7 rear and 5 fronts!

Anyone else have experience of such mileage and recommendations on what bikes would be best?  I hear that some service intervals on new bikes have lengthened to 10 - 12k

Cheers

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 September 2012 21:30)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

38,000mpy

Welcome but you sound crazy,it`s cheaper to rob pensioners handbags or buy and sell drugs or go in the building trade buying and selling houses all tax free.

As an employer i woudn`t employ somebody so far away unless they considered local digs with back home at weekends,

If you have to commute that distance get a small car like a kia/hyundia with a 7/5 year warranty.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

38k mpy

it can be done - but it could be hard work with winter coming up...

If it were me, I'd probably look at one of the tourers, for comfort as much as service length. What bike are you running now?

Reply to this Topic
evlcatnw

Nov 05

evlcatnw says:

Jeeeez

I thought my 60 miles round trip per day was bad enough-thankfully got a job closer to home...

On ER5 got 170 miles to tank-cost £20 week and only nearly fell asleep once

In focus 1.6 cost me £60 a week....bog eyed every day  and struggled for the last 10 miles to stay awake lol

Thankfully now fall asleep in bed after 12 mile drive, no frozen fingers/toes/ass and much happier!

Get digs closer coz it'll be cheaper

Cat x

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

get a small car

with a good warranty, may not look great but a Hyundai or Kia have 5 years or so, and even then you'll be having 3 services a year.

Won't be fun on the bike every day in the winter either.

I know a couple of guys who live in Devon and live in digs in the week (LFB so on/off shift pattern helps) as cheaper / less stressful than daily commute

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Long distance commute

The guys are right in that the economics would make running a small car cheaper.  You are likely to get better MPG, tyres will last much longer and servicing intervals will also be much further apart.  A car will also have some residual value after a few years whereas a bike will be worth next to nothing once you have two or three years of that kind of milage racked up. 

However, it's not all about the money and if commuting by bike is a personal choice then good on ya!  My first thoughts would gravitate towards the BMW R1200RT.  Great weather protection, shaft drive and these engines go on forever when looked after.  There is also the Pan European but that is heavier on petrol and needs servicing every 4,000 miles where the BMW is every 6,000.  You can keep costs down by prudent tyre choice and maybe doing oil & fiilter changes yourself along with basic maintenenace and only giving your bike to a dealer for the big services.

You could also go the big scooter route although I don't know much about them.  The weather protection on those looks really good and they have decent size engines in them these days (500cc plus!)  I assume that will still be economical on fuel and I would not expect a huge bill to keep it in tyres either.        

I assume you have also looked at riding kit.  That kind of riding will need some serious kit and that won't be cheap either.      

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Shrekonabike

Sep 12

Shrekonabike says:

38,000 mile

You're not the 1st to call me crazy, my wife tells me so every day!  However in terms of door to door  commuting time (1.5 hours each way) it makes no difference than catching a train to London and various tubes. 

4 wheels though is looking like the cheapest option, although would want to spice things up with a few trips on bike

Reply to this Topic
Shrekonabike

Sep 12

Shrekonabike says:

38k mpy

evlcatnw - Agree, moving closer would be the most sensible thing, will need to convince my wife but she knows it could be on the cards. 

Used to do 100 miles round trip commute on my K1200RS which saved me about 30 mins each way over the car (M25 rush hour) so am used to long commutes.

Reply to this Topic
Si749

Oct 03

Si749 says:

been doing pretty much that for the last 2 years on my Daytona

apart from the joy of not having to sit in traffic or sit there and listen to anyone esle in a car, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone

may as well ask for your wages in a big bucket and set fire to them

sad but true, cant think of many bikes you'd be able to get away with it, if any

sorry thats probably not much help

Reply to this Topic
Si749

Oct 03

Si749 says:

oooh, one shining light, i have just discovered the michelin pilot power 2ct's , and have just gone past 6000 miles on without ANY squaring off whatsoever

remarkable really

Reply to this Topic
MadDogDoug

Nov 07

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices